POS Pro in Australia - hardware issues

Highlighted
2 0 1

Any Australian users of POS Pro yet? How are you tackling the issue of integrated credit card hardware not being available? Does anyone have any idea when this hardware will be available in Australia?

Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
362 46 60

Hey, @NFCAustralia!

Ryder here, from the Social Care Team at Shopify. Welcome to the Community, and thanks for posting! While I'm not an Australian merchant myself, I can empathize with the challenges it is to get your Point of Sale working efficiently for your business. We launched the All-new POS earlier this May to offer our merchants some time to get acquainted and will be sunsetting the POS Classic on November 1st. Seeing as it's crunch time, I'd love to see how I might be able to offer some insight on the subject.

What

Previously, with the POS Classic, Shopify had offered both External Terminal payment types, and Custom Payments. External Terminal was suitable for merchants who use a third-party, non-integrated card reader to accept payments, and Custom Payments were meant for additional payment methods, such as cheque. However, both payment types ultimately do the same thing; they create a way for merchants to track how the order was made whilst not capturing any card or customer data associated with the payment.

Why

Historically, we noticed that merchants had been having trouble understanding when to use External, Custom, or Credit options in the POS checkout. To mitigate this confusion, we've decided to narrow down the options by eliminating the External Terminal option and instead offer the ability to create or enable "Custom Payment" options that work the same way as the External Terminal does. Note that these options should only be used if you aren't processing a payment through Shopify directly. For example, without the use of a supported card reader or manual entry.

How

In the All-new POS app, on the Settings > Payment Settings screen, merchants will be presented with the default methods at the top: Credit (Shopify Payments with a supported card reader or manual entry), Cash, and Gift card. Below these default payment types are the Custom Payment options. If you're just migrating from the POS Classic and had custom payments enabled, you'll see them carried over automatically here. If you were already using an External Terminal with POS Classic, you'll see "External Terminal" here as well. Otherwise, if you're just setting up, you'll be able to add a custom payment for your External Terminal.

I've recorded a clip for you to follow along with here of myself adding an External Terminal option and processing a payment through that method. When you arrive to the "Accept External Terminal" screen of the POS checkout, you'll have the opportunity to manually input the total due to accept payment through your External Terminal before selecting "Mark as paid":

20-10-z1vxi-lovdv

In the case you're already using Shopify Payments, I've also included a clip of how you can use the manual entry option to accept credit card payments which you can view here. Test mode was enabled for this recording. These steps will be the same for both POS Lite and POS Pro.

Where

Because the Shopify Card Readers are currently only supported in the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, and Ireland, it sounds like you'll need to use an External Terminal as well for your Australian business. Our Hardware stores do not ship internationally. For this reason, you'll need to search for local External Terminals. Through browsing through Community Forum discussions, I've repeatedly seen merchants recommending EFTPOS or going to local banks to see if they have any External Terminal solutions.

Aside from card readers, you can purchase hardware from other vendors depending on your location. Gorilla Lab and POS 99 are both resellers that support our hardware. If you're going to be buying other hardware, contingent on your business needs, be sure to reference our model numbers to ensure you're purchasing a product that is compatible with our POS system.

Who

If you have any further questions regarding the POS app, I'd be happy to help! Any questions regarding third-party payment gateways or External Terminals will best be posed towards the payment provider. I hope this helps offer some direction to these new challenges. Please let me know if there is anything I can clarify.

Cheers.

-

Ryder A. | Social Care Team at Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes