POS Receipts and Austrian Law

Thomas_Wiesner
Shopify Partner
19 0 5

Hi all,

I live in Austria an beginning April 2017 all retail payment receipts must follow new regulations. I love shopify and I can recommend it to a few dozen of businesses as POS solution, in addition to their online shops, but these regulations pose some problems.

The government saw an opportunity to stop the circumvention of tax fraud and requires all retail cash systems to follow new guidelines, what information is presented on the receipts.

Specifically the receipt must hold a signed seal, which is essentially a hash of a AES256 encrypted information. I just had a quick glance at it today, so please forgive me if my information here is not complete. But essentially its a certificate that has to be held by the cash system, then a key that is issued to the shop owner and now comes the critical part: each invoice (receipt) holds a verification number (or QR code) which is the last receipts amount, this receipts amount and the total amount in the cash drawer, encrypted.

There are basically a few questions I have on that:

1. Is Shopify aware that the POS system becomes useless in Austria beginning April 2017.

2. Is Shopify development team eventually working on something that fixes that?

3. Is there a way to get into the receipt creation process, with an addon or any other way to do that?

Thanks

sheldonkreger
Shopify Partner
30 0 1

I'd be interested in building a Shopify app to support this. Where can I find more information on the law and the requirements?

0 Likes
Thomas_Wiesner
Shopify Partner
19 0 5

Hi,

I hope you speak German...

https://www.bmf.gv.at/steuern/selbststaendige-unternehmer/Registrierkassen.html

https://www.a-trust.at/Support/Registrierkassenpflicht.aspx

I have asked them for Informations in English, as soon as I hear back from them I'm happy to extend this ticket.

I see another obstacle in your way: You'd need a certificate from one of three government approved companies in Austria to sign the transactions. I am not sure if they issue one to you if you are not a registered business in Austria.

I allow to call myself a seasoned developer, having 10+ years of experience and a masters in computer science. I absolutely understand the flow of how that should work and I am happy to develop something off the code samples on the page above without any problems, but the one thing I personally give up: The Government. How they offer informations. Seems like they have a security by obscurity policy in place.

That is why I was hoping that Shopify themselves are developing something in that direction - bigger company, many people and developers and hopefully they have good partners in Austria.

0 Likes
Thomas_Wiesner
Shopify Partner
19 0 5

Hi sheldonkreger,

they really got back to me, I'm pleasantly surprised.

Here are the requirement documents:

https://www.wko.at/Content.Node/branchen/oe/sparte_iuc/Unternehmensberatung-und-Informationstechnolo...

https://www.wko.at/Content.Node/branchen/oe/sparte_iuc/Unternehmensberatung-und-Informationstechnolo...

I highly doubt that this is possible via a simple Addon, though it would be amazing. I fear it would need additional work at the Shopify-POS app, but again, I didn't fully look into it and if you can do it, perfect, go ahead.

0 Likes
sheldonkreger
Shopify Partner
30 0 1

The POS API does indeed allow you to modify the reciept somewhat, so I'll review these documents and see if it's possible to meet all the requirements. Perhaps my business (US based) can be authorized to issue the certifications on the transactions. Thanks!

0 Likes
Die_SELLERIE
1 0 0

Thanks for bringing that issue up here Thomas - we're also running Shopify POS in Austria for quite some time and are really hoping for a good solution and some support from Shopify to get that implemention done in time. Shopify, any news/thoughts about this? (This was posted 2 months ago ...)

0 Likes
DerGrieger
5 0 0

Any new informations... ? How to solve this..? April is coming fast ... otherwise i have to find some other systems for my customers... 

greets

0 Likes
Akin_Aktas
3 0 0

Hi,

we have the same problems with shopify in Austria. We run three shops, all with shppify POS. Im scared that we wont be able to use shopify anymore.

0 Likes
Super_Sense
2 0 0

is somebody at shopify actually reading this?
when can we expect an official statement regarding the question if Austrian users of shopify will be able to continue using the pos software after April 2017?

0 Likes
Thomas_Wiesner
Shopify Partner
19 0 5

Hi,

I highly doubt that someone from Shopify is reading it. And even if they are reading it, its highly unlikely that they specifically program something for Austria, where Shopify POS Systems are a nice-to-have but that's not their target market.

Someone with in-depth knowledge of the POS API should look into it.

0 Likes