POS Requirements?

Solved
Greg_Kujawa
Shopify Partner
1016 83 237

So we are looking to potentially implement Shopify POS to replace our existing legacy retail POS platform. There are a few functions that are available in our current platform that are important to our business workflow. Wondering if these are also available either natively in Shopify POS or via third-party plug-ins. These functions include:

• Layaways - a customer makes an initial deposit for an in-stock item, subsequent payments, and at the final payment the item is considered sold and the salesperson is credited with the sale.
  • Special Orders - a customer makes an initial deposit for an item that we've never carried before. Basic details, such as the vendor ID, the vendor's UPC/EAN/VPN identifier, and a brief product description are captured so the item can be ordered. After the final payment is made and once the product has arrived to be stocked, then the item is considered sold and the salesperson is credited with the sale.
  • Repairs - a customer drops off an item (either purchased from us, or purchased elsewhere), and we either send it out to the vendor for repair, or handle internally. We need to track the various timestamped status and location changes of the repair job as it progresses through to completion. 
  • Money Held - in other words, a customer's store credit. If a customer returns an item for refund, we might place the monetary amount in their account for a future purchase or layaway/special order deposit. We need to track per-customer the amount of store credit they have. Preferably keeping these amounts separate from any outstanding layaway and special order deposits.
  • Serialization - we have vendors that require us to uniquely identify specific items that might or might not share the same vendor UPC/EAN/VPN identifier. Since some items might be associated with different consigned memo documents. So these items need to be specifically identified, as well as rolled up into their "parent" vendor UPC/EAN/VPN identifier for reporting purposes.

Does anyone have feedback if some/all/none these requirements are doable?

0 Likes
Virendra90
3 0 0

Hi Greg,

I will check with my team for all these points, if they can be achieved or not via Shopify POS and/or third-party plugins, I have this question, do you need help in implementing Shopify POS too? Have you found developers for the same? If not, We would like to assist you further,

You can reach me at Skype - virendra.manektech & Whatsapp - +91 8155044545

Thanks

0 Likes
Greg_Kujawa
Shopify Partner
1016 83 237
Thanks for the reply! I am pretty set in terms of implementation. Internally we are pretty adept at installs, configs, API calls, etc. Please let me know what you find out when you get a chance!
0 Likes
Tira
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1102 74 179

Hi, Greg!

These are all really great questions, especially when you’re looking to migrate from one POS system to our Shopify POS. I did some digging here and have found some answers for you:

You can take partial payments and have the customer pay the outstanding balance at a later time. The feature to pay the outstanding balance is only available with Shopify POS on iOS or iPad and is currently unavailable on Android. You can learn more about taking multiple and partial payments here: Shopify POS - Multiple & Partial Payments.

You can create a special order by creating the product in your admin or by adding the product through your Shopify POS, and then emailing a cart link to your customer. Once they receive this email, they will be able to pay for their items using the link in the email: Shopify POS Email Cart. You can also add shipping, a cart discount, cart notes, and other information to customize the cart. It’s good to note that to credit the sale to a specific staff member, they must be logged in when the email is sent.

Tracking the repair process of a product would be outside our scope of support, as this isn’t currently a feature we have on our platform. I recommend looking at a third-party solution to help with tracking products that need to be repaired. One option to consider is an order status tracking app, such as Custom Order Status by W3. You can use it to create unlimited order statuses, update multiple order statuses at the same time and een set due dates.

You can also reach out to a Shopify Expert. Shopify Experts specialize in customizing the coding of your store, so they may be able to help with coding a private app for you that could help with this!

Store credit can be given after issuing a refund to a customer. You’ll need to enable it as a payment method by going into the Shopify POS on your device and navigating to Store > Payment types and under the Disabled Payments, tap on the Store Credit option.

Do you have an example of what you’re looking for, in terms of serialization? Would these products need to be identified internally, or externally for your vendors? I’ll see if I can find an answer for you once I have more details!

Let me know if this helps!

Tira | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Greg_Kujawa
Shopify Partner
1016 83 237

Thanks for your reply! I am starting to look at the Shopify POS SDK. Have setup a test method that appears as an option within our company's Shopify POS iPad app. What I'm wondering is how extensible the SDK is.

For example, let's say we add a restricted area to our e-com website that requires authentication. To be used by our internal salespeople. Once they have been authenticated, they can browse through a custom view of our in-store products (since not all product is available for sale online). This website would be customized by our internal staff, since we have both web developers and integration developers. The only area where we'd absolutely need to integrate with Shopify POS would be for payment processing (i.e. - communicating with the Shopify Chip and Swipe reader). 

According to your documentation (https://help.shopify.com/en/api/embedded-apps/shopify-pos-app-sdk#integrations) it looks like we can handle the Edit Cart action, and handle the Order Complete event. Then there is mention of Full Screen Apps. Does this mean we can create our own custom app? We aren't looking to ring sales on the iPad. We are trying to implement larger Windows 10 Pro touchscreen coffee tables, with embedded NFC readers and thermal slip printers. The only element of Shopify POS we'd need to touch is the payment processing hardware...

0 Likes
Tira
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1102 74 179

Hi, Greg!

Thanks for getting back to me.

Since your storefront would be separate from the Shopify POS, you could work with your internal developers to create a custom page of your in-store products to show to your internal salespeople on your website.

My knowledge of the Shopify POS SDK is pretty limited, as this is outside our scope of support. You can create an app using the Shopify POS SDK by creating a Partners account and integrate this as an app for your Shopify POS set-up. Check out our API docs for more information on this: Creating an app that uses the Shopify POS App SDK.

If you have additional questions about using the SDK, check out our APIs & Technology forum and our Shopify Apps forum for more details. There are Shopify Experts, merchants, developers and other community members who may be able to assist you specifically with your question about the integrations that you’re looking to achieve with your custom app!

Since you mentioned taking payments using the Chip & Tap/Swipe card readers, and that you wouldn’t need to ring sales on the iPad, I recommend doing a quick sale where you can enter a title, price, and quantity to take payment. We’ve got the full details of how to do this in our help doc: Make a quick sale in Shopify POS.

Let me know if that makes sense! I am also curious as to what the community will suggest!

Tira | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Greg_Kujawa
Shopify Partner
1016 83 237

Okay, I think after awhile of looking at this I have a pretty good handle on things. Between some helpful apps such as Admin+, utilizing the REST API, and utilizing the GraphQL API, we have plugged most of the functional gaps encountered thus far.

One quick question. Our business has larger sales where multiple salespeople have assisted a customer in their purchase. So we split the sale amongst more than one salesperson. Most POS software we've used in production or evaluated in the past has supported this functionality. I notice that it's missing in Shopify POS. Does anyone know if there is an existing off-the-shelf app I can install to fill this gap? Or would I need to utilize some type of workaround? Just curious if others have run into this need :) 

0 Likes
Greg_Kujawa
Shopify Partner
1016 83 237

This is an accepted solution.

Please disregard. I see now the "Staff who helped with sale" option for each item in a Shopify POS sale. We are good!

0 Likes
Greg_Kujawa
Shopify Partner
1016 83 237

Now my only "side question" is how to retrieve the "Staff who helped with sale" value in the API. Have looked in the REST API and the GraphQL API and so far I'm not seeing it...sigh...

0 Likes
Jewelcam
Explorer
48 0 15

HI for your layaways since Shopify treats them as Sales for the daily reporting how are you reconciling your end-of-day totals?

0 Likes