Shopify vs Vend
Needing help here, please.. Thank you in advance
We're currently using Shopify for e-commerce, we also have 5 bricks & mortar retail stores that currently use standard cash tills. We want a robust POS system for the stores which is also able to sync with our Shopify website and multi-inventory.. We operate on fairly low ATV, but high volume, so the speed of operation is key..
Is Vend's POS more superior to Shopify's POS? Do they integrate well? Considering it a fresh start to POS, I could go with either, I do want simplicity but also love functionality (I hate basic stuff) My website is with Shopify, part of me says go with an all in one system, but currently the website (outside of lockdown) only accounts to around 15-20% vs 80-85% bricks & mortar.. I do want smooth integration between stores / online, especially we will be offering click and collect and also the ability for a customer to see which store has stock (similar to the Argos system)..
In terms of POS, I want the ability to work away from the main till when taking in deliveries, stock take etcc. using a scanner... Will either of these systems offer?
I read somewhere that shopify's POS access requires admin access which has full access including banking etc... is this true? So a normal till user can see everything?
What would you do if you had a website already with Shopify which you are happy with and you are starting POS fresh?
We have both an ecommerce site and brick and mortar store and we made the switch to Shopify last year. Overall we have been pretty happy with Shopify however a recent change in their system has left us out in the cold and searching for a new provider. We are in Canada and utilize Moneris as a credit card processer. The new Shopify system does not support an integarted card processor other than Shopify's card and chip reader which does not have PIN entry capability. Shopify has suggested the customer could enter their PIN on our POS which creates numerous problems including the fact we are separated from our customers by a barrier for COVID protocol reasons. Even if we are not separated there are still issues with entry errors and the time it takes to manually enter the detail when you have a line up of customers. We have complained and are pretty much being told "oh well...we are making a change."
We are now shopping for a new POS.
Here a list of our Shopify failures.
• Ability to for simple manual returns at retail POS when a customer does not have any type receipt or know the actual name it was purchased under. Just like custom sales only reverse. Return, Select item, How to credit customer, Cash or gift card. This is so that the gift giver isn’t notified that that there gift was returned.
• Ability to do as many returns or exchanges on the sale as the merchant wants. Not just ONE
• A TAP & CHIP reader that is not bluetooth. Or just works. 8 months we've had 4. Constantly looses connection. Can't make a sale when you can't take a card! Purchased a second system to use the swipe reader, because it cost more to manually enter the card. Employee time as well.
• Vendor list under products. Basic info account #, Phone, Rep, Address, email......
• Ability to put an entire collection on sale at one time. Or add the sale price to the initial product listing and be able to activate sale price by collection.
• Print pick ticket with sku#
• A (note) field on the product page so owners can make a note on something specific about the product they sell. i.e. where it is stored, shelf, or manufactures true name etc. We change the product name to protect our sources.
• Sell an online gift card and have the gift card go to the recipient with a note field attached on why they're getting the gift card.
• Ability to capture credit card sales when internet/power is down. Square and Clover have this ability.
• On the Home page in the admin, Post what shopify is working on. Updates to system, iPad etc. COMMUNICATION!!!!!!!!
• If Shopify is going to have a purchase order page, How about when inventory is received it is added to inventory. Currently it just receives it. That I know, because I have a packing slip.
• How about a preference page, so products could be sorted always the way the owners sees fit. Or current price, or SKU. Most times we know the vendor and type of product.
• Ability to have the sort order on products be random. Not just Best seller, price, alphabetically. Better yet Best sellers with every third or so item randomly imputed. Keeps things interesting
• Under purchase order, we can add a supplier info. But can’t see or have access to the list of suppliers? Then when we receive items on PO they are not added to inventory, So why create a PO?
• Stop with the apps. Or fully support them for the 20% take Shopify has in them. These only allow fingers to point back and forth, And we the merchant are left with no answer. If apps are shopify approved make them shopify accountable.
Our card readers constantly come disconnected. Always at the worst times. The POS only shows a 3/4 x3/4 pic of the item purchased. So small staff says its hard to see. yet the employee discount button is 1x3. hmmmmmmm