POS for iPhone 6 Plus?

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
7 0 0

Given that the new 6 Plus is as much a small tablet as it is a large phone, it would be great for Shopify POS to be rolled out and available for it - will give us the flexibility of another couple of terminals.

Any plans to implement this?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
1 0 0

Hi Richard,

My company is working on the API for this.  We already support Shopify stores for native apps too.  We may also offer the feature where a user can hold their phone next to your terminal to pay for the merchandise.  You will be able to get this in the Shopify App Store when we release it.

Rob

App Developer Guru
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
7 0 0

I was actually referring to the POS App being available on the iPhone so I can use the 6 Plus as a POS terminal - right now it is only released for iPad, but with the new large phone blurring those lines it would be nice to be able to check out our customers with our iPhones as well as our iPad POS.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
67 0 3

Hi Richard,

Thanks for writing in. We too were really impressed with the Apple presentation about the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus. What kinds of work flows are you thinking about with a phone based POS system?

Product Manager at Shopify
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
4188 29 412

Considering most people on the planet cannot even touch an iPhone 6 (they release to stores this week, online pre-books are still not delivered)... and since iOS8 is bound to be a typically buggy OS for a few months, I would think the earliest you'd see a decent version of POS on that special platform is a month or two... just a guess... but hey... 

It is kinda neat how a small form factor like the iPhone can operate as a mobile shop and POS... that was pretty much impossible just 2-3 years ago.

Custom Shopify Apps built just for you! hunkybill@gmail.com http://www.resistorsoftware.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
7 0 0

Hi Carson, 

Thanks for the reply. Initially I would just want the flexibility of being able to use my phone as a POS in case of either our main iPad breaking down, or during a particularly busy period like a sale.

So I think the main functionality I would look for is just being able to process a sale. Whether the current app is usable if scaled down to the smaller screens remains to be seen I guess. It might be too cramped and require a new UI.

But I can also see people wanting to use the phone as a primary POS, including using the camera for barcode scanning. Also it would lower the cost of entry, in our case buying an iPad was not a massive cost in relation to the size of our business, but a startup might appreciate being able to use the hardware they already likely have.

Shops use iPhone Apps like PayPal here, or even the Apple Store uses modified iPhones as a POS so the concept is not without precedent.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
67 0 3

I appreciate the examples for an iPhone based POS. You're right that Shopify POS would require some UI changes to work on a smaller screen, as we've designed it to take advantage of the larger iPad screen.

The use cases you've identified are definitely something we're interested in. We've experimented with a streamlined "order creation"-only services as part of our Shopify Mobile iPhone app, but that is currently tied to Shopify Payments in the US & Canada. 

Product Manager at Shopify
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
7 0 0

Yeah I would need to be able to process the payments on my credit card machine in-store.

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi all,  I would like to be able to use the iPhone 6plus for POS as well-would beat having to carry my phone and iPad around with me all the time...

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
9 0 2

Hi all, I also think this would be terrific.

The only thing holding me back from trialling the POS is that my old IPad won't run it and I'd need to get a new one.

I was also thinking of using an iPad Mini for the POS, so having the iPhone 6 Plus would be similar and suit my business so much better... 

0 Likes