POS system with Debit (Toronto, Canada)

Highlighted
2 0 0

Hi all,

I'm opening a retail store within a mall and am looking for the best option for a POS system.  I am also planning on creating an online store for this same concept.

One issue  is, shopify doesn't accept debit payments and is already quite expensive it seems?  $59 + $20(online) + $40 retail package to be ableto use shopify hardware.  So $119/month plus all applicable credit card processing fees. Approx $600 - $1000/month.  Also I'd have to rent a debit machine to use externally.  As well as purchase all of the shopify hardware and a new ipad.

Hopefully someone in Ontario can chime in that is using a POS system with debit and can provide some suggestions in order to be able to use all credit cards and interac at a reasonable/fair price.  

Much appreciated in advance,

James

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
289 0 221

Hey James,

I can say that debit is on our roadmap, along with updating our card readers to be more friendly with chip and pin cards in the US. From working retail for a few years, the top three systems I see being used in stores still are:

It might be worth looking into one of these as an external debit method at least for the time being, just so you can cover the most customers.

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi Alex the debit solution sems to have been on the "roadmap" for some time. It seems that when we look for a Bricks and Clicks POS solution from Shopify we cannot get a full featured product. Very Frustrating! We call every 3-6 months hoping to switch to Shopify but there is always major pieces missing. Previously it was the lack of a synchronized inventory management system or website creation tools. To Shopify's credit those issues have been adressed.

I came across a post from April of 2014 regarding Shopify not accepting debit cards but hoping to be able to soon. Now we are faced with keeping Moneris as a payment gateway along with connection service, fees  and equipment to accept debit cards in another gateway. Major issue for a retail store with more than one or two employees.

Additionally transactions take 7 days to process which is understandable in an online environment but in a retail POS system where fulfillment is instant; a 7 day delay is a negative effect on cash flow.

Perhaps Shopify needs to separate the POS payment gateway from the online payment gateway. Very disappointing, Thanks anyway.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
19 0 5

Hi Aileen,

We intend to integrate an Interac-supporting terminal in Canada.  We're working on it.  It's fairly early in the project so I can't give a date yet but it's in progress.  Whatever we do, it will be with a Canadian payment partner - to date we haven't been able to port our Shopify Payments solution to debit even though we'd like to.  This relates to the closed payments environment for debit in Canada.  However, the benefit of the integrated solution is the terminal will work seamlessly with the POS app so you have one set of sales data.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
19 0 5

@James,

Hi James,

You can sell in person with the iPad app on the Basic plan for $9/month -  this is pretty competitive.  In your case, since you're operating a physical store you presumably want to a receipt printer, so the $40 retail package puts you at $49.  You get unlimited registers - if you want to add another iPad app, or an iPhone app for pop-ups or markets, you can, at no cost.  We'll even ship you free plug-in readers at our own cost, just by requesting it within the app.

Adding a full-featured online store with tons of themes and great features for $20 is a relative bargain, and you can always call our 24/7 gurus for free support - as much as you need.

Best of luck with your store :)

0 Likes