POS upgrade

Highlighted
1 0 8

We have been using shopify for around 3 years for two of our branded online stores. We also have a bricks and mortar store so we also use POS for both brands.

Both stores now have the new version of POS (we use Ipads combined with shopify's card readers) albeit we had to buy a new Ipad that support Apple's OS 10 or higher!

I don't know if anyone else is finding the new version a bit alien but we regard the new POS app as rubbish. It's difficult to navigate, less screen clarity and information and only works in Landscape mode.

We also noted shopify will be charging POS users another $89 per month as from October 2020.

For those small businesses that are starting out and for those that already pay considerably more for Shopify compared to others, this hike in rates is absurd. 

Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 7

I completely agree with you. I have been using Shopify POS for over a year now. The idea Shopify thinks I'm going to pay more for this terrible POS product then I pay for my actual e-commerce package with Shopify is laughable.

I will be switching to a new provider within weeks. Shopify does not respect nor listen to small business owners, this cash grab reflects that. 

Possible alternatives:

1. Lightspeed 2. Hike 3. Shoptiques 4. Square (although better for services not so much for inventory). 

Highlighted
2 0 1

For those alternatives mentioned, how are you thinking about syncing customers and inventory with Shopify ecom? Any recommendations?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
9 0 12

the 89/$ a  month per location just shows how out of touch Shopify is getting with retailers. THey are leaving the little guy behind in favor of larger companies who can afford more. There is now way in hell the new POS software is worth 1000/per location a year.  We will never upgrade. And frankly makes me think twice about the future of shopify.

YOu all should too.

Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 7

I've decided to go with Lightspeed.  They offer just POS without their eComm, as well as the fully integrated solution.  The biggest issues I could tell for having separate eComm and POS venders is that giftcards don't play nice, and loyalty systems don't play nice.  You can use them online but not in store, etc.  Definitely dig into how they deal with inventory and make sure you like their answer.

Shopify is a big player for eComm, usually something POS venders know and can work with usually out of the box.  I opted for ease of use in having one system for everything.  That is why Lightspeed was the choice for me - plus much more robust inventory controls, and an integrated loyalty system.  And they will upload vender catalogs for you!  That alone will save me hours of work. 

Shopify doing this really showed how they don't care about small businesses, despite all their marketing trying to convince you otherwise.

Highlighted
Tourist
9 0 12
It’s funny we left lightspeed. Great support but there tools were just too far behind. The eco system Shopify has built is just too powerful. However doesn’t mean there are things that I don’t find annoying or frustrating. There Are problems with every platform!

Wish you luck!
0 Likes
Highlighted

@AlyssaJakesYour going to have to setup integrations with other POS providers with shopify. Some have auto sync, some have manual sync. Each provides a different level of data sync and integration amount. Without researching those solutions its difficult to know what level of integration you would get from each POS system.

Some POS systems do not integrate with anything at all. Each one is going to have its pros and cons.

Feel free to send me a message if you need help moving forward!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 7
Thank you! I have a very small shop with limited resources, so we are
definitely not using all the bells and whistles that Shopify offers
(usually with an additional monthly fee!), but where we actually need those
bells and whistles, Shopify doesn't fill our needs. Was there a specific
integration you use now with Shopify that is making a big difference for
you, or is it the full ecosystem? Just curious. I haven't started the
setup process with Lightspeed yet, but their customer service has been so
much better than Shopify, it's almost astounding.
Highlighted

@bluebird1109,

Maybe ConnectPOS can offer you the bells and whistles that you need.

It's a POS app in Shopify App Store, so the synchronization with Shopify inventory and orders is almost real-time. 

Essential features like "Buy online, return/exchange in store", "Checkout with cash, gift cards, 3-party payment providers" "Apply discount, coupon code, custom price, custom sales", etc.

ConnectPOS is also compatible with PC and Android phones.

I think it's a good consideration.

ConnectPOS - Shopify POS app for PC, Android, iOS, omnichannel retail, inventory control.
0 Likes
Excursionist
18 0 36

But if you want the same functionality as the shopify app it is priced at $79.00 not much of a difference in price?

0 Likes