POS user permmissions

Highlighted
1 0 1
hi, i am now in trial on webstore and pos. i found a big issue which i need help. all pos users have access to admin! by logging in to admin or to pos, both added staff and pos-only-staff have access to admin...solution i didnt find or no solution? please advice. thanks!
1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
67 0 3

Hi there,

You can create POS-only users that have no access to your Admin directly on the POS. We have some documentation on how to get that set up here. Essentially, each account has a name, and only PIN entry to log into POS, but no password for logging into your shop admin.

This functionality requires the Retail Package, which you can try out during your trial by picking a plan.

Product Manager at Shopify
0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Hi Carson,

Thanks for your answer.

As many merchants that I know, admin in office + brick-mortar manager + staff is a typical module of operation. In this case, should have a separate POS password for brick-mortar manager who can login to POS app but can not access to admin (or very limited). Yes, you can say setup POS only staff pin, but if accidently POS app logged out? You know there is no "Log Out" control in existing POS app. Everyone can click "Log Out".

And secondly, I don't feel comfortable that all "POS only staff" are in the same permission level to access all POS data (maybe even from another terminals in different location). Saw have complaints already in forum...In any cases, confidentiality must put in the top concern.

Above "POS only password key" and "POS only staff access" all belongs to safety issue. And also (not part of POS), there is no verificaiton step when online store customer creates new account...also SAFETY.

I am now in trial and thank you very much to help to decide. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

I didn't see my post below comes on thread...I'm sorry if duplicate.

Hi Carson,

Thanks for your answer.

As many merchants that I know, admin in office + brick-mortar manager + staff is a typical module of operation. In this case, should have a separate POS password for brick-mortar manager who can login to POS app but can not access to admin (or very limited). Yes, you can say setup POS only staff pin, but if accidently POS app logged out? You know there is no "Log Out" control in existing POS app. Everyone can click "Log Out".

And secondly, I don't feel comfortable that all "POS only staff" are in the same permission level to access all POS data (maybe even from another terminals in different location). Saw have complaints already in forum...In any cases, confidentiality must put in the top concern.

Above "POS only password key" and "POS only staff access" all belongs to safety issue. And also (not part of POS), there is no verification step when online store customer creates new account...also SAFETY.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 3

How can you limit employees access to the total amount of revenue on the POS system?  I don't want employees to have access to the financials.  Can they only have access to expected cash in draw?

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 3

Regina good luck with this, this has been brought up by several PAYING POS customers including myself and shopify has gotten no where with it.  

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 3

Thanks James.  I have to say I was much happier with ShopKeep POS but they don't have web site support and I don't like the website templates of Square.  So frustrating!

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi Carson,

Thanks for your answer.

As many merchants that I know, admin in office + brick-mortar manager + staff is a typical module of operation. In this case, should have a separate POS password for brick-mortar manager who can login to POS app but can not access to admin (or very limited). Yes, you can say setup POS only staff pin, but if accidentally POS app logged out?

Above "POS only password key" and "POS only staff access" all belongs to safety issue. And (not part of POS), there is no verification step when online store customer creates new account...also SAFETY.

Z.Zhai

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
10 0 2

We are a school spirit wear store and have always had a sleuth of volunteers helping us at the events.  The financials are not for everyone to see and the Shopify POS is pretty frustrating with its user permission.  We used square until now and it worked great, but since we have a shopify webstore it makes sense to maintain one inventory and use the Shopify POS.  But it looks like we have to add the retail package in order to manage user pemissions and that just adds to our monthly cost.  Square did not charge us a monthly fee. Why do we have to buy the retail package to manage our user permissions, why cannot the web user permission just translate over?

Please find a solution to this problem, please, and one that does not add to our cost. 

Also, if anyone had found a work around, I would love to hear it.

2 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 3

I have the retail app and you can't give user permissisons there either except to give everyone a code to see who did what but they can still see all your revenue! 

0 Likes