Please share your barcode inventory process

Highlighted
7 0 0

We'd like to start using barcodes to manage our inventory. I can't find anything that describes a good process for doing this with Shopify. I'm sure there are shops out there that have figured it out. Can anyone share their process? 

What are the workarounds for printing multiple barcodes per product? 

Can you use any barcode scanner or do you have to use the the ones Shopify says are compatible?

How do you do inventory counts? Can you scan into a spreadsheet and upload to Shopify?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
50 0 1

We use a barcode scanner, just a cheapie ($9.99 at officemax) that plugs in USB to the computer.  We use .csv and scan in the inventory and upload to shopify.  For us (books) we use the barcode scanner to scan the custom barcode followed by scanning the ISBN, then do the csv upload to shopify.  

Is this what you are asking?

0 Likes
Highlighted
7 0 0

Hi Jeran,

That's very helpful, thank you. Do you do physical counts of current inventory using your scanner or just to add new inventory?

Thanks again for your help!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
50 0 1

Well, we have it pretty good in that department.  We don't use quantities for any of our products.  All new and used books are listed totally separate and the other items we carry are antique or unique so we would never have two of anything.  Now, thinking as if we did, to me the easiest thing to do would be to scan the barcode twice, which would put two entries into my csv and then before upload I would put them in barcode order and have it find the duplicates and update the qty like that.  That is just thinking off the top of my head.  I guess it depends on what I was selling.  Do you sell online and in store?  

Because shopify will keep your inventory count for you.  As you sell one, it would decrease your count so I guess I just need a better explanation of what exactly you are trying to do.

0 Likes
Highlighted
7 0 0

Ah, yes we sell multiples of one item and we have a shop, sell at markets, plus online. Products go missing so we need to do inventory counts fairly regularly to account for those losses and to keep the inventory online accurate. 

Thanks for your insight!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
50 0 1

I guess I am still confused.  So, you want a way to scan and then input the qty and then upload to shopify?  Or you want to (for example) scan every barcode in the garage and have the qty of barcodes scanned to update...   Do you use the same barcode for exact items or each item has a separate sku?  If it were me, and lets say I have ten of a book, each of those ten would have the same sku # and the qty in Shopify would be ten.  Then let's say I went to a market and book sale and needed to update the count, I would probably pull out the csv and hate correct qty and reload in Shopify.  You know about the Shopify app right?  You can update quantities right there....

I guess it depends on what your current system is and what you are trying to accomplish. I'm no expert but I do have a year of Shopify under my belt and have gone through many trials and apps and slow ineffective ways to possibly help if you wanted to run it by me again.  Moral of the story...

Quickest way to load product, by far the csv 

0 Likes
Highlighted
7 0 0

Hey Jeran,

I went ahead and purchased a scanner and barcode printer. I think from what you've told me we can get a system going that will work for us. If not, we'll resell the stuff. 

But to answer your question, for example: We have 250 purple shirts in small that will have the same sku#/barcode and are in inventory in Shopify. We also have 300 medium, 300 large and 300 xl, each size with it's own sku. Then we also have black shirts in various sizes, grey shirts, etc. A month later I want to scan a barcode on each shirt and have the new total quantity for each color and size updated in Shopify, or at least a spreadsheet that I can upload to Shopify. We don't want to have to manually update quantities because we are counting 100 skus with 100's of items per sku. Lots of chance for human error.

So, sounds like this will be possible?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
50 0 1

For sure...

If I were you, I'd try both ways and then decide which is better... The CSV upload or the iPhone app.  The iPhone has an app called CL Barry I believe.  It is a scanner.  So you bring up the shopify app, scan the SKU and then enter the new quantity.  

Or, what is easier for me is the csv upload.  The great thing is, right before you do inventory, do a CSV export, it will export all your items on to a csv, either print it or use the laptop to count your new quantities and then all you do is re-upload the csv and any changes you make will be updated.  

I think you guys are well are on your way!  Good luck to you.  Let me know if you ever need anything.  Email me or come by my store.  BOSS@UBBBK.COM and http://ubbbk.com

Good Luck!

0 Likes
Highlighted
7 0 0

Thanks for the heads up on the app. Very eager to figure out a system and that sounds very helpful for some situations. 

Thanks for all the help!

0 Likes