Point of sale migration from VEND to Shopify

Solved
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
1 0 0

Hi there, we have a shopify site that's currently using VEND as its point of sale but considering moving to Shopify POS as hear they are rapidly improving it's functionality and capabilities. Is this a good move if we have 2500 products with two physical stores? And if so what's the best approach for developers to complete this migration by avoiding any potential flaws along the way? Thanks 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
575 18 68

This is an accepted solution.

Hi, Customer_Care_S.

This is Max from the Shopify Team.

Our POS offerings are definitely improving over time (which we hope to be the case with all of our services)! One of the more recent changes that I think might be a perk for you, based on your multiple shops (and inventory) would likely be out additions of Locations. I'd also suggest reading more about Shopify POS locations.

Are there any particular things about your daily workflow or the orders that you're looking to avoid or replicate?  I'd suggest downloading the app and playing around with the interface to see if it might suit your flow.

Have you had some time to review any of the docs or hardware options where you're based? The Shopify POS app can be used to create and track orders anywhere, but the other physical pieces of hardware (what's available and where to get it) and payment providers vary based on your physical location. In terms of hardware, I'd suggest checking out this link to our hardware store. We also have more details in our help docs about what hardware we offer and how things work together!

These other docs on selling in person would also be great to review:

Feel free to reach out to us with any questions you might have. 

Cheers,
Max
support@shopify.com

Max | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 1

Just wondering if you made the switch to Shopify for POS. We have a B&M that uses Vend and we use Shopify for our websales. We considered moving to Shopify POS, but at the time felt Shopify POS back-of-house stuff didn't sound robust enough. The inability to adjust a price at the point of purchase was a problem. And it seemed like we would have to add a bunch of apps for things that Vend already does, like placing & sending purchase orders to our vendors.  I've also seen a lot of forum complaints about printing tickets when receiving orders in Shopify POS. At the time, I decided to wait another year and see what improvements come to Shopify POS.

I'm wondering if it's time to look at Shopify POS again. I'd love to hear another Vend POS users thoughts.

1 Like
Highlighted
1 0 0

I'm in the same boat, so I can't give my experience as I am still in the research phase like you! I'm thinking of moving from Vend to Shopify POS now they seem to be getting better. I do love Vend though so I have some reservations, but as we are doing more business online now, it makes sense and we need to cut costs in our physical location to keep it viable, plus although the syncing between the two platforms work well, it's not without some issues which can leed to things being sold online which are actually out of stock.

I am looking into the Stocky app to do reporting and purchase orders as the Shopify team recommended that. I'm looking at an app called multi-label barcodes for printing my barcode labels and Shopify recommended Smile.io for our loyalty program as we currently use Vend's. Although I'm having to use a lot of apps to get a similar functionality that Vend gives, Stocky is now free so that helps. I have noticed my barcodes in Vend are different from Shopify's so I will need to import the ones from Vend, and we have a lot of lines in the shop we don't stock online so there will be a lot of work to do before everything is up and running as we have around 2000 active products with around 6 variants each on Vend. I'm starting to wonder if it's worth the time to migrate when I love using Vend?! Has anyone done the migration, how did you find it, what are the main issues you had, and what was your time scale?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
689 101 236

Hi - We migrated to Shopify POS about two months ago, not from Vend but another POS. Fairly sizeable product set (about 800 products, 2,000 variants in total). For same sort of reasons, we were already using Shopify for the online store and wanted to cut cost & complexity by getting rid of another system.

Experience was/is as follows:

• A fair amount of messing around in spreadsheets. I did downloads from both systems and then a lot of matching and lookup queries to pull information in from the POS spreadsheet to the Shopify one and then uploading to Shopify. Main tip here is find someone who is pretty handy with writing formulas etc. as it will save you days and use something other than Excel (I used Google Sheets) as Excel has a habit of doing things you don't want, like stripping leading 0's from barcodes :(
  • Whilst I was at it, I also did a much needed clean up of our eBay & Amazon data and now all our data across all our channels has the same unique id (SKU) and is all automatically synchronised & kept up to date using Shopify as the master. Has made things so much easier.
  • I used the spreadsheet method above to populate costs, quantities, weights, manufacturer SKUs etc.
  • Also used an app called Excelify which allowed me to easily create metafields in Shopify to store extra info we wanted
  • The Stocky app is very good, much better than our old system
  • The Shopify POS on the other hand has shortcomings and I would definitely make sure it does what you need before making the swap.
    • Main frustrations for us is you still can't have different prices on the POS to your online store and the end of day reporting isn't great
    • On the plus side, things like gift certificates are good (can print one out in store and customer can use it in-store or online) and it is very simple to use and set up
  • We also had to swap all our hardware out (till, barcode scanner etc) because they weren't compatible with Shopify POS. We went for the Mpop set up and it is ok. I see a lot of people complaining about inconsistent bluetooth connectivity but we haven't experienced that.
  • Timescale wise, we did it in a day, but like I say, mainly because I'm handy with a spreadsheet

I know your question was about migrating from Vend but I thought you still might find the above experience useful.

If helpful then please Like and Accept Solution
3 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 1

Hi thanks for your feedback, to answer question im still sitting on the fence as feel there hasn't been enough improvements or changes with Shopify POS over last year and agree with your points re app intergrations required for simple tasks like raising purchase orders. Shopify also has a different payment system requirement to current setup with NZ Eftpos meaning we would still be required to use Eftpos (Verifone) but also Shopify payments for the point of sale therefore imagine additional transaction costs. Do we then still require a merchant bank? (was told yes and no)

Im obviously not 100% clear on all the pros and cons of switching from Vend to Shopify POS but would be interested to hear form soneone who does run with this system setup in New Zealand to see if its the best way forward? I have spoken to Shopify POS resellers and they say its great and easy, just try it out but my response is the actual Shopify POS system is no doubt great but everything else that we use in day to day operations could be the downfall and don't want to invest in having a developer get to the end only to find out there are many unknown factors that need to be applied including additonal costs for apps etc. 

Cheers

Piper

1 Like
Highlighted
2 0 0

Sorry to help you

i dont know about this migration.

i hope i will help you another time.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
18 2 4

Hi there,

if you haven't performed the switch yet, you can turn to LitExtension service and get your current store data transferred to Shopify without any business interruption or end-user confusion. The service allows to migrate the following entities to Shopify: products, orders, customers, manufacturers, reviews, blogs, and other related entities. Besides, you can take advantage of the additional migration options (create 301 redirects after migration, migrate additional images, etc.) to make your specific Shopify migration even more seamless and error-free. 

LitExtension ensures 100% WooCommerce store uptime, excellent data transfer quality and provides 24/7 support. The prices for WooCommerce to Shopify migration start at $59 and solely depend on the amount of your store entities and chosen additional options.

If you have any questions concerning the migration - feel free to contact us any time. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

I'm in the same boat, so I can't give my experience as I am still in the research phase like you! 

Plastic Packer Bottles

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 1

Sorry but this sounds more an online sales pitch with little offering in what this thread is about. Can I ask what is your experiene is of switching from Vend POS to Shopify POS in New Zealand with all above detail to work from regarding plugins and payments systems etc. Interested to hear your feedback as like many other business operators keen to know solution going forward? Thanks! 

0 Likes