Reasons Why The New POS Sucks And We Are Leaving

eyeclothingco
Excursionist
11 0 42

Shopify seems blind to many of us who cannot stand what they have done to their customers and their platform. This can be a thread for everyone to list their frustrations and issues with the new POS and why many of us will be leaving very soon. Also, feel free to leave any recommendations for other platforms below.

The new Shopify update to the POS has been a disaster. Changing the entire layout of the system at the beginning of the busiest time of the year was already a bad idea. Nobody has the time or care to want to learn a whole new layout and system in the most critical time of the year. This update in no way has allowed us to "sell faster". In fact, checkout times are longer now and this app is NOT faster to use than the POS Classic. You can't even save a cart anymore. 

The biggest disrespect to everyone is the fact that Shopify has now taken away many basic features from the POS that we have been using for years because now they see them as "premium features" that we should absolutely have to pay extra money for because they want to be "competitive with other POS platforms". Not even including the point that we are still in the middle of a global pandemic with thousands of businesses dying across the world every day and they want to squeeze an ADDITIONAL $2,136 out of me during these difficult times.

I cannot understand how they can justify taking away the ability to perform a simple exchange? Should that not be a standard feature on any POS system? Someone please explain to me why we do not deserve the ability to exchange an item unless we pay another $90/mo for that location? They say you can do it in the back office or by issuing a gift card, but what about all of the analytics and inventory numbers that will be incorrect causing more work for us to try to fix? And are they going to pay the extra hundreds of dollars we will have to spend on gift cards that we have to waste every time someone wants to exchange something? 

If they wanted to offer a higher caliber system for a premium price they should have kept the POS Classic with the same abilities that it has always had and then offer this Pro garbage to anyone that wanted to pay the extra.

To anyone that is interested in the questionable leadership at Shopify here is the link to their Governance page and address to send letters to this prestigious board. I have said to customer support many times now that I would love to speak to someone who is actually part of the decision making process at this company to understand why squeezing every dollar out of us is more important now than actually taking care of your customers.

https://investors.shopify.com/Governance/Board-of-Directors/default.aspx

On another note, if improving the platform was truly so important to them then why have they refused to make a simple fix over 7 years now to be able to edit/combine customer accounts? How many of us have dozens or hundreds of duplicate customer profiles that we cannot edit to give the real data on return customers? Loyalty points, order history, long time value, and return visits are all diluted when you have no way to edit the information. But in nearly a decade despite thousands of people constantly begging for this feature Shopify hasn't done a single thing about it. But hey, at least they have been "sending the feedback to the development team" who obviously don't pay very close attention to what we are actually saying.

Shopify is now a prime example of "Too Big To Care". Maximize shareholder profits at all costs necessary. Many people will be forced to sit there and take whatever they do to them because they don't want to or have the ability to change platforms. Many people, myself included will be leaving this platform at the end of this year if this disastrous move is not corrected. I used to love Shopify and recommended it to dozens of people over the years. I started out on here nearly 8 years ago in high school when I was just figuring out eCommerce. I attended a Shopify workshop in Portland Or. a few years ago and enjoyed the time I had networking and learning about the platform. I have spent thousands of dollars over the years with them and even leveraged the capital lending which they made even more money off of me. But after this change, I have lost all faith in this company and will not be cornered into shelling out an additional $2,136 a year.

I highly doubt anything will be done here but it's worth a shot before I give up on you guys.

Replies 10 (10)

Rivertowninkery
Explorer
63 0 41

Classic was never actually free to use if you were using it as a brick and mortar. We had to upgrade to a higher priced plan to get certain functions we needed for in-store use.  Which was 100% acceptable.  Always happy to pay for features I want and need when they are priced appropriately.  

Don’t let them tell you they were being nice and giving you something for free.  They have tried this on me.  Acting like they have to charge for the new POS because it was free for so long they didn’t have any money to make improvements. It’s simply not true. We all have been paying for it through subscription fees. 

eyeclothingco
Excursionist
11 0 42

True, to add the retail package it was an additional $75 a month, but covered all locations and we were fine with that.

Now they want to maximize on every tiny thing they can get out from us and take away from what we have been paying for in order to double their money.

Rivertowninkery
Explorer
63 0 41

The fact is if they actually made a better POS product that had new good and useful features then no one would be complaining.  But they didn't.  They created the worst system I have ever used in retail, removed BASIC functions and then tried to force us to more than double our monthy fee for something we hate.  Classic was so much better, why even make a change except for greed?  Everyone on the POS development team needs to be fired.

Willoworchid
Excursionist
14 0 28

We have delayed the inevitably switch over to the "All New POS" system to the last minute.  On top of all of the other issues this version also wipes the integrated credit card processing and send us back to entering everything manually.  We simply have not had time to find another system but we will be doing just that.  This company cares not one iota for their customer base and has completely lost its way.  Its a shame really.

BAToys
Excursionist
16 0 36

We have over 20,000 products on our website and received approval for shot pay in November 2020. We sent invoices and everything else to prove we are authorized to sell the items we are selling. In Shopify integrations they allow you to accept coin base or coin payments as crypto payment. We enabled and integrated it to our website. They sent us a BS email requiring we do other things which we did, and now they want us to provide our invoices again. We will not be providing our trade secrets to Shopify any longer.  Their platform is documented garbage we have extensive costs in migrating to Shopify which we will pursue in court. We do not recommend Shopify to anyone, especially those that know what they’re doing. We have been a retailer since 2010 and now getting so much traffic that Shopify is apparently trying to stifle competition. FU Shopify. We will be shouting this everywhere and do an extensive write up at badasstousforbadassboys.com - you pissed off the wrong company shopify. Our new migrated website is batoys.com and we have cone to the conclusion that we will be leaving it up and only accepting crypto going forward.  These idiot payment processors are stifling competition in an attempt to protect their monopoly of outrageous payment peocessing fees. Shopify, you woke a giant and made an enemy of the wrong retailer. We will make it our mission to end you. Sincerely, Jeremy B founder BAToys Inc.

BAToys
Excursionist
16 0 36

I was so mad I did not proofread in my haste- the facts are all the same but our original website is badasstoysforbadassboys.com and we migrated to shopify as batoys.com - funny how the typos appear in the links almost as if to discredit my post.  More bs.

freya0328
Pathfinder
140 1 6

You are right, this is an irritating thing.

banned

jehnlee33
Visitor
3 0 0

Coin base & coin base commerce are separate matters to join as you can see the link. So when you have a coin base account you may need to enroll in coin base trade.

jimandrew41242
Visitor
1 0 0

I can understand your frustrations with the new Shopify POS update. It's unfortunate that they changed the layout during the busiest time of the year and took away Basic Reasons features that we have been using for years. It seems like they are more focused on squeezing every dollar out of us instead of taking care of their customers. I hope they listen to their users and make the necessary changes to improve the platform. Thanks for sharing your experience and recommendations for other platforms.

lennygx
Visitor
1 0 1

100% Agree. Shopify PoS is litteraly the worst PoS software I have ever used. If you have multiple PoS it will constantly forget and mix up its printers, card readers and scanners. All the tools you realy need to run a convenient store with are additional addons you have to pay like $30 a month for each.  This is NOT well thought through at all and the phone support is horrid