Receiving Inventory

St_Benedict_s
Excursionist
34 0 15

Can someone walk me through the best way to receive inventory? With our current POS, we simply used our barcode scanner to  enter it. Since Shopify's POS doesn't allow for barcode entering, I have to use a csv. How exactly do I do this? I've been using the csv to integrate all of our current brick and mortar stuff to the online store, but am uncertain about how this works when just adding a barcode, quantity, and possibly a price change. Do I just tick off the columns I don't want to write over or is there some simpler way?

I assume that a purchase order will be made with the csv and that I will simply sort by vendor and then quantity to know which items are low or out?

Would really be great to see Shopify POS integrate a really nice stock re-order system. Thanks for any help you can offer.

0 Likes
St_Benedict_s
Excursionist
34 0 15

Additionally, right now we keep a level for our stock. Some items we keep one in stock and reorder one at a time, but many other items we might have the level at say 3, so that when we are less than that we know to reorder x number more. How will this work now? We have over 3500 products and multiple vendors. This could get really overwhelming fast without a way to handle it.

0 Likes
Daria6
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1 0 0

Hey there, 

My name is Daria and I am working on Inventory at Shopify. Have you tried using one of our Inventory Apps such as Stitch Labs? This app will allow you to track Purchase Orders and also set stock alerts. There are more inventory apps available here, each one has pros and cons, but my personal favorites are Stitch Labs and Trade Gecko.

Cheers, 

Daria

0 Likes
St_Benedict_s
Excursionist
34 0 15

Thanks for your reply, Daria. Unfortunately, an additional $99/month is just not possible for a small business like mine! We have about 3500 products, but we are a small family business with a simple web presence. I decided to switch to this POS because I was happy with my Shopify webstore. Now that I've made the huge leap and have invested over $2500 in hardware and spent the past month working 14 hr days trying to get all my stock moved over to the Shopify platform, I'm REALLY disappointed to find that Shopify POS doesn't do the simplest of natural things that most any cheap POS will handle. It's very discouraging. I don't mind paying the monthly Shopify fee, but having to pay for additional apps to do what Shopify POS should already be doing is just not acceptable. 

Sincerely disappointed.....and right at the moment when I'm getting ready to hook up my POS and move forward. I thought that Shopify POS would help make my inventory management easier, not harder. :(

0 Likes
Edward-Newgate
Navigator
415 15 35

Hi, I will instruct you how to receive inventory on Shopify manually but also quickly: 

Step 1: Go to Transfer
Step 2: Choose a transfer
Step 3: Select Receive items
Step 4: Enter the product and the quantity
Step 5: Enter the number of the damaged product
Step 6: Enter the number of the extra product
Step 7: Tap Save
Step 8: Click Archive

For details with illustrated images, you can read this guide: How to receive inventory on Shopify in 8 steps

Was my reply helpful? Click Like or Mark it as an Accepted Solution to let me know!
0 Likes