Refund issue

Gianni_van_Dort
Tourist
5 0 4

HI

We have a lot of returns, some bought in other shops of us.

When customers return an item its impossible to exchange or return it. Such a simple and basic feature and its not possible?

Why is it not possible to add a simple minus option?

Therese1
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
13 0 2

Hello Gianni, thanks for your post.

The best way to exchange an item is to refund the item first, then offer the customer a store credit.

I wanted to make sure you'd found this documentation:

http://docs.shopify.com/pos/operating-pos/orders/exchange-item

Hope that helps.

0 Likes
Harold_Steinhar
Explorer
52 0 46

How do you monitor or keep track of the amount of a customer's store account balance?

0 Likes
Gianni_van_Dort
Tourist
5 0 4

Thank you but not really a solution.
Our customers are usually walk-in's so we don't have always have a ticket number when the return something. Difficult to explain but we are one of many shops so when someone buys something in another shop they can exchange it with us as well.

With all other POS systems we used we could easily scan a product and return it (quick refund which puts the product in minus) without having to look for the history order. I have shopify has this option as well?

Britt_Pegan
Tourist
3 0 1

Agree with Gianni. The exchange process has too many steps. The other issue I have with returns is that it's impossible to find the return on the day it was returned (ie I can see in the register that there was a return but I have no way of finding the ticket that was returned and I need that info for quickbooks).

Jason73
Excursionist
12 0 10

This offer exactly zero help.  The exchange protocol assumes the clerk has an ability to locate the original order.  This is completely impractical. I should be allowed to effect anew order that is negative cash/positive inventory in the case of a refund or a new order that moves one inventory item up and one inventory item down in the case of an exchange.  This is POS 101

0 Likes
Amy_Sparreboom
Tourist
5 0 4

We have the same issue. Our store will honor the warranty of certain suppliers Australia wide, hence we would have no record of the transaction having taken place elsewhere. The supplier will credit us, but we need to have a record of the item returned with what they purchased from us if we don't have the same produvt to do a simple exchange. 

Jason73
Excursionist
12 0 10

Where is the shopify reply to this thread?  Current protocol is a joke.  Simple solution it to allow what every single POS allows - a negative transaction.  Show us one POS that is limited as shopify is or explain the logic why it was programmed this way.  Nobody agrees with how Shopify built and wether you have many or few returns the process of educating clerks to shopify method is far too complicated and full of risk for error.  Just program in an ability to effect a negative transaction and get on with it.  

Harold_Steinhar
Explorer
52 0 46

I too wonder where the response is.

The say use store credit.  I ask TWO MONTHS AGO, how do you track the customer's store account balance?  Still waiting for a response.

Still waiting for a response on several other topics as well.  Shopify is doing little to convince me I should stay.

Harold_Steinhar
Explorer
52 0 46

I assume since no one at Shopify has responded, there must be no way to track the store balance, and thus an impractical work around.

0 Likes