Restaurant scenario, print two receipts. one for kitchen one for customer

Highlighted
1 0 0

I own a small cafe with a kitchen. I need to be able to create a customer order from the POS and send it to a printer in the kitchen. It seems an easy way to accomplish this might be to create a draft order and send it to the kitchen printer. Then when the customer is ready to checkout pull up the draft order, process it and print out the customer receipt at the front counter.

The are a few problems with this scenario...

1. I don't see an option to print draft orders
  2. the POS only supports a single default printer. I would need to manually switch which printer I print to each time...which is tedious.

It seems to me this is a common scenario but I can't seem to find any information on it anywhere. Does anybody have a workaround? Are there any apps in the marketplace to support such a scenario?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
678 50 150

Hi, @Roc_City!

Julie here from Shopify Support.

Great question. Based on what you're looking to accomplish, there are a couple of workarounds you could consider. First, you could process POS orders as normal, which would mean that your customers would need to pre-pay for their order. When they pay for their order, a receipt will automatically print. You can then reprint that receipt from the same printer and provide it to your kitchen staff, or you could change the default printer to print it from the kitchen printer. I understand that this may not be the most ideal solution, so I've come up with a couple of other options for you.

Second, you could use an app called Draft Orders for POS. This app will allow you to add draft orders to your POS and sounds a lot like the scenario you suggested. The main difference between this workaround and the one above is that this option means customers won't have to pay at the same time they place their order. Instead, you can pull up the draft order and process the transaction when they're ready to pay. It sounds like receipt printing is available with this app, but I would recommend taking advantage of the free trial or reaching out to the developers directly to see if this is possible. 

A third option is to use an app like UbarTab, which is specifically geared towards bars, restaurants, and cafes who use Shopify POS. With UbarTab, you can create and retrieve carts. This means that the customer can place an order and you will be able to retrieve it when they're ready to settle their bill. This app will sync between multiple devices using the POS app, so your kitchen staff can easily access the open orders within one screen and mark them as complete once their order is ready. The nice thing about using this app is that you won't need to print a receipt for the kitchen at all, which means you can save on a lot of paper. Based on the reviews for this app, it looks like their team offers excellent support; if you're ever needing a hand with this app, you can always find the contact information for the developers directly under the Support section of their app page. 

I highly recommend considering UbarTab, as it sounds like this could significantly improve your workflow, saving you from having to print multiple receipts. It's also a great solution to allowing your customers to pay their tab at the end of their visit. As a side note, did you know that your cafe can collect tips with Shopify POS? If you aren't already taking advantage of this feature, I definitely recommend doing so! 

I hope this helps. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to let me know. 

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
20 0 23

Hi there,

This app, Draft And Custom Orders For POS, (https://apps.shopify.com/draft-and-custom-orders-for-pos) can help with that. You're right that POS doesn't have an option to create draft orders within POS, but this app helps with it.

Before this app, you would have to go into the Shopify Admin (on the computer) to create or edit a draft order, and then in order to checkout/charge a customer, you would have to email/send them the invoice link or charge them through your computer.

Now with this app, you can create a custom draft order right within POS, and you can add that draft order straight to the POS cart in order to checkout/charge the customer inside your retail store or in person. You can also choose to email a copy to a customer if you'd like, or do whatever you'd like with the draft order. All from POS, no need for going into Shopify Admin.

More info: https://www.lazertechnologies.com/blog/draft-and-custom-orders-for-shopify-pos

With Draft And Custom Orders For Shopify POS you can now do the following all within the Shopify POS app for any device:

1. Add existing products from your current inventory
  2. Create and attach a new service (including the length of the service, the per-hour rate, and any supplementary notes)
  3. Create and attach any new custom products that aren't currently in your inventory
  4. Specify a workflow status with your custom draft order (i.e. New, Estimate, Open, Pending, Completed)
  5. Create a new and/or attach an existing customer to the custom draft order
  6. Set a discount on the overall custom draft order
  7. Email the breakdown of the custom draft order to the selected customer
  8. Add the custom draft order straight to the POS cart
Highlighted
2 0 0

Hi Julie

I am setting up Shopify for my restaurant to take online orders. I would like to print the receipts automatically once the order is received. Can you please let me know what printer I should use to print the receipts automatically. Also how should I connect the printer to my Ipad? 

Thank you

Soumen

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Hi @Julie 

Please see my post above. can you please respond.

Thanks

Soumen

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
678 50 150

Hi, @soumeng.

Will your restaurant be using the Shopify POS? If so, you can most definitely use a receipt printer, but you will only be able to print receipts for orders processed in-person, rather than online. 

Since these orders will be placed online, it's likely best to use an app to handle this. For example, Shopify's free Order Printer app will give you the ability to print receipts for each order individually or in bulk. While this app won't give you the option to print them automatically, you could consider some alternative solutions.

Taking a look at the app description for Printout Designer, it appears as though this app offers the ability to print receipts automatically whenever orders are received. You can also set rules so that only orders meeting certain specifications will be printed. With this app, you can use any Google Cloud Print enabled printer. If you aren't sure if your printer is compatible, then I recommend reaching out to the developers directly. 

Alternatively, if you are wanting to avoid using an app, then you could look into the solution proposed in this forum post. There, you'll learn how you can receive order notification emails and have your email provider automatically print them as they are received. While this may involve a more complex setup, this is definitely something to consider. 

Another option is to get in touch with a Shopify Expert who may be able to build out a custom solution for you. Have you considered using an app to manually print the receipts?

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes