Shopify POS chip and pin card support?

Highlighted
1 0 1

Does Shopify have timeline for support of chip and pin card standard? 

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
289 0 218

Hey Shawn!

We're actively working on a payment solution that supports EMV (chip cards). This will be ready in advance of the October 2015 merchant liability shift in the US.

Hope that helps!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 1

Hi Alex,

Will it be similar to what Square is lauching? Also, any idea on what the new readers will cost merchants?

Thanks!

Sam

1 Like
Highlighted
8 0 0

We are two weeks from October - any updates?

Julianne

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
24 0 6

This is about to get serious. 
Shopify, please give us some solid news.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
3 0 0

Hi there, I saw the link and email today about the new readers. Must say a little disapointed about the cost, but understand shopify has put in significant resources to develop it. That said, my question is this: Can my clents continue to use the existing card swiper they have been using at events with their iphone and Shopify POS app? Understanding the risks for fraud that are now held by them and not the banks?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 1

Clarke - Can you post the link? I didn't get that email.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
64 0 13

Hi everyone - (repeated from another thread) We've launched a US pre-order for our new Shopify Tap, Chip, and Swipe Card Reader. We also launched a "Liability Shift Protection Program" as part of the pre-order to help make the October 1st transition easy for merchants. You can learn more by visiting: http://www.shopify.com/pos/emv

Hi Clarke - Merchants can continue to use their swipe card reader. They just need to keep in mind that they could be liable for chargebacks in the event that fraud was involved with the card being swiped. There tends to be lower risk of this happening in environments like craft fairs, farmers markets, trade shows, or where the merchant might have a more personal relationship with the customer. The full transition to EMV in the US will still take some time past October 1st, so you'll continue to see swipe card readers like these in the wild for some time to come.

2 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
3 0 0

Here is a link to the email I got in case others are curious.

http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=038ecdcfa50f9d59113b8f977&id=32bef16723&e=fcd6ccc74d

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
24 0 6

Thanks for this update. 

0 Likes