Socket Mobile 1D barcode reader not recognized by iPad Mini POS app

David_Reinecke
Shopify Partner
7 0 0

Hi all,

I'm trying to use a Socket Mobile 1D Bluetooth barcode reader with Shopify POS on an iPad mini. Unfortunately I've been unable to get the app to see that the reader is connected.

I've read and re-read all the documentation, instructions and troubleshooting. I've connected and reconnected about 20 times and after several hours still no joy.

We already made double sure the device is in "iOS" mode, but still no luck.

Is there a minimum package one should be on? We are on the basic level without the retail package. Is there a minimum spec for the app? We have a 4 year old iPad Mini.

Thank you,

Dave Reinecke

0 Likes
Matt_A
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
162 0 8

Hello Dave,

Matt here from the Guru team! :-)  

That is an excellent question thank you for asking.  We appreciate it.

In order for the Shopify POS app to connect and work with the Socket Mobile 1D Bluetooth barcode reader (or the other pieces of POS hardware like the cash register, scanner etc) the Shopify Retail Package also has to be added to your plan and paid for per month.  With the retail package you are able to have hardware integration which provides support for everything you need at the checkout - barcode scanner, cash register, and receipt printer.  :-)

If interested in adding this feature it can be done by going to your admin -> Settings -> Sales Channel -> Under Point of Sale select "Add Retail Package".  

I hope this helps and you have an excellent day,

Matt

0 Likes
Tom_Taylor
Tourist
28 0 1

We had this problem several times with our Scanner not recognized. Go to your IPad settings. then Bluetooth. check to make sure the bluetooth device (scanner) is discoverable. We had to do this after updating our operating system.

0 Likes