Socket barcode scanner requires tapping "search" every time

Highlighted
1 0 0

I'm just getting started with Shopify POS, but I'm finding that in order to use the Socket barcode scanner, I have to scan the product, and then tap "Search" on the iPad screen to find the item.

Scanning with the camera works much better, as it automatically searches and finds the item.

Anybody else run into this?

I've tried configuring the scanner for both "Suffix - carriage return" and "Suffix - carriage return & line feed" with no change.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Explorer
51 2 22

I'm getting that happening to us intermittently. I can't figure out how to reproduce it or stop it once it's happening. But, so you know, it's not supposed to work like that since it works the right way most of the time.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 2

I have been having trouble with the scanner as well. I am using the new  shopify POS App with the Socket s700 scanner. Seems as if the scanner loses focus and does not want to scan into the cart but is scanning to the search field in the background.  

We have been able to return the scanner focus to the cart so it works properly by clicking on  More Actions>Custom Order>Back>Close. Then the scanner will return to adding products to the cart correctly.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 2

We are noticing that applying discounts  with  More Actions >Discounts causes the scanner to fail to add products to the cart.

The workaround we are using : More Actions>Add Custom Order>Back>Close . Seems fix the problem for us and the products scan into the cart correctly.

If we use the Add Discount Tile  instead of the More Actions button, to add a discount to an order, the scanner functionality is not broken.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 2

I am wondering if the scanner behavior is more consistent in the old app. Without reliable barcode scanning a POS app is unusable?

Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 1

I've had several problems since using the new POS.  The barcode scanner either stops working or sometimes goes into search.  The card reader goes wrong if a customers contactless doesn't work (which I'm now not sure and can't tell if its their card problem or the readers).  When it doesn't work it looses connection or jumps in and out and then can only fix by switching off and on again.  It also goes wrong if I save a cart to serve another customer.  None of this looks good in front of customers and I've lost sells through it.  I have contacted support several times and sent numerous reports but no fix or come back.  It's obviously problems with the new POS, which seems to have loads of glitches, everything was fine before I switched.  I always make sure my iPad is up to date and constantly check for Shopify updates in the hope it will be fixed.  Anyone had any response from Shopify on this?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
7 0 0

Do me a favor:

Scan an item.  Look at the info it grabbed.  Is it missing numbers?  is there a supplemental barcode next to the main one, that its ignoring, but that are included on the product page?
That's the issue with ours, currently, that I am trying to find the fix for.  We sell books.  Unfortunately, the scanner is not reading the +5 on our (Bookland) EAN-13+5 barcodes.
However, it finds it with a search, because the search is finding the partial barcode.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
11 0 4

I'm having barcode scanner problems also.  When I scan a barcode, it only does a search.  It does not add the item for purchase.  I had this problem on a previous build also, but the update before this one fixed it.  New update, old problem is back.  Yesterday I had to forget and add the scanner again to get it to work.  Today, that doesn't fix it either.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Explorer
51 2 22
I've never noticed a release when this wasn't the case. I must specify for
the devs though, that it's only a problem for barcodes that are stored in
the SKU field.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
11 0 4
In my case, all the barcodes are in the "Barcode" field, not SKU.
0 Likes