Solution for how to use all POS hardware without wifi connection, with mobile hotspot!

Highlighted
2 0 2

Just wanted to share as I have spent MANY hours trying to figure this out, and Shopify POS staff were able to offer no suggestions or creative solutions via email or phone support. I will be using the Shopify POS app along with the card scanner, receipt printer and cash drawer at craft shows where there is no wifi router to plug the receipt printer into.

Our solution:

- Plug in Airport Express. Plug receipt printer in to Airport Expess with the provided network cable.
- Set up a mobile hotspot through your phone or hotspot device. We used an Android on T-Mobile using the FoxFi app.
- Connect your iPad to the network created by the hotspot.
- Using Shopify's instructions for using an Apple Airport Express with Shopify POS (http://docs.shopify.com/pos/about-pos/troubleshoot/connectivity#airport-express), set up your Airport Express and connect it to the network created by the hotspot. (*Important note: you need a recent version of the Airport Express to do this. We spent a long time trying to use an older Airport Express to set this up to no avail. We went and bought a new one and, bam, it worked.)

That's it. I couldn't find anyone else on the whole internet who had done this, so I wanted to share to spare people the hours of frustration I had.

2 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
7 0 3

FYI

If you have a usb receipt printer you can do as above but also run an external credit/debit eftpos card reader over ip using the ethernet port. (This is essential if you live outside North America at the moment I believe).

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

I wanted to thank you a thousand times for posting this!!! I was trying to use this for the same purpose, to use the entire POS system while on the road doing art shows. Shopify support helped me to the point of suggesting the airport express (probably because of your post) but other than that I had no idea how to set it up till I found your post. Thank you thank you!

-Steve

0 Likes
Highlighted
5 0 0

We're doing the same thing except with a wireless hotspot instead of the phone. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

This post is marked as outdated, so I'm wondering if anyone can point me to some updated info on this topic? Thanks!!

0 Likes
1 0 0

I have tried for hours to make this work, and would love for someone to go into more detail. I have called Shopify support, and they basically told me it cannot work. The kicker is that I can join a wireless network with my Airport Express created from my TimeCapsule and everything works perfectly, but I cannot get it to work when I join a hotspot network, even though I CAN join the network with my AirPort Express. To clarify, I can get wireless internet from one source (TimeCapsule) and it WORKS, but I can get wireless internet from another source (Hotspot via iPad or iPhone on 4G) and it does NOT work. So frustrating. Any help would be very much appreciated.

0 Likes