Special orders and Purchase Orders

Highlighted
Excursionist
13 0 4

We're using Shopify now as an extension to our existing POS (POSIM) but are looking at migrating to Shopify for POS. It seems hard to get detailed information about how it works. Here's one thing that is a hurdle for many POS systems, and we're wondering how Shopify POS handles this:

A customer comes in (also on-line), orders an item. That now should sit in the POS as a special order. Then when we place our POs with our vendors, we want the PO in include not only our usual re-orders, but also include the special order product so that we send our vendor one PO that incorporates stock and special order items. Then, the shipment comes in, we receive it into the system and the system should flag the special order items as such and link back to the original order from the customer.

This is so important to our business it's a show stopper for any platform that can't provide a way to handle this. Our current system handles this very well which is one reason we chose them.

Thanks in advance!

Oz

cambriayarn.com

1 Like
Highlighted
Excursionist
24 0 6

Shopify POS has a lot of great features. But when you go beyond a standard sale  i.e. customer paying in full for a product that you carry in store, or stock at your second location, good luck. 

its like forcing a square through a circle. 

Look  at hiring a programmer and then if Shopify changes their internal code yours might get broken. 

Hopefully someone has a good answer for you, wish you the best. 

1 Like
Highlighted
Excursionist
13 0 4

Yes, but how do you really feel? Based on the very limited information on the site, and my imnability to get anyone at Shopify to talk to me about their POS offering, I"m thinking it's not ready for prime time yet.

1 Like
Highlighted
Excursionist
24 0 6

It’s not you I’ve talk with them many times and they don’t like saying their product is the wrong fit. 

i love their online and it works good for us but we have not pulled the trigger on their POS, and likely will not. To many shortcomings for us. We have been to retail for 26 years and we use a DOS based POS system that gets its done nicely but is lacking in technology. 

more then likely we will find a POS that will push and pull data from the online Shopify. 

We are still looking 

good luck 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
13 0 4

POSIM, the POS we're using, does have a linker to push items up and pull sales down. It's not bad, documentation is very unreliable and support calls are slow, but it does work, It pushes one image up. The web text in POSIM gets all its formatting stripped when uploading to Shopify, so that's a bummer. Online shopify gift cards are not supported with Posim and they won't be. It's not a perfect solution, but we're making it work for us. Posim supports very flexible work flows in POS. Worth checking out, at any rate.

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

I am thinking about using Shopify for an online store offering to complement our "brick and mortar" store. We currently use POSIM in store for inventory control. I have seen here and there that there is a "linker" for integrating POSIM & SHOPIFY, as minimally I would want to make sure inventory levels are synched. I can't find any detailed information or apps about how you actually set it up. Can you direct me to any info you used?  thanks a lot for any insight!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
13 0 4

The documentation at the POSIM site is whoefully out of date. The linker, which they sell, works fairly well. I does syn Shopify and Posim inventory and seems to do a good job. They've been having an inssue, not sure if its fixed yet outside of the patch they sent us, that was duplicating items in Shopify. Swell.

Whne you have the shopify linker, which in addition to the upfront cost will run you $30 a month, the field "short description" goes away and Web Tags is substituted. Web tags is wher eyou put all the shopify tags. Shopify reads Product type as well as the web tags to manage categorization. That actually works really well.

There are no third party apps needed, outside of the Linker that Posim installs on your end at the server. It uploads items and downloads open invoices.

One other big heads up is if you get a web order and have to modify or back order the invoice in any way, it screws up the tax so you have to recreate the open invoice in Posim ten delete the original open invoice. Pain in the neck? you betcha. And it's not gonna change, according to Posim so we're living with it.

If Shopify could do what we needed with POS we'd drop posim, but we don't see that happening anytime soon.

For details, you could call Posim, but drill them about what's working and what's not. Tell them you know the documentation is not current. The things I learned about how the linker works was the result of a long conversation with someone from support.

Good luck!

0 Likes