Split tender, Clarification on CC fees/processing, and other misc questions

Jeff_Kufalk
Tourist
14 0 2

Hi,

Just a couple of questions on your POS.

1 - Can it handle split-tender transactions?

2 - Can it handle partial refunds?

3 - What exactly can I put on a receipt?  I.e., can I do a header with store name, footer with website, etc?

4 - Does your POS have any employee time-clock functionality?

5 - Regarding CC processing and fees, can you please explain them?  They seem to be unclear on the site here.  I already have merchant processors and would prefer to use them due to the rates I receive.  Does shopify charge a % on sales through POS like they do in the ecommerce side?

0 Likes
Shopify_Craig
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
333 0 26

I'm going to get someone that know Shopify POS inside and out to reply, but with regards to #5 - there are no CC processing fees unless you decide to use us to process credit cards.  If you already have a merchant processor, then you'll just pay $49 per month for the POS (no % of sales or transaction fees).

0 Likes
Jeff_Kufalk
Tourist
14 0 2

Thanks Craig.  Looking forward to it.

Also, just some friendly feedback, your POS information is incredibly lacking on the website.  These are all very simple and common questions that anyone would want to know when considering/evaluating a POS, yet all that's there is a nice video showing a POS in use.  A few hours writing a decent FAQ or feature list would avoid far more hours answering the same questions for people.

0 Likes
Shopify_Craig
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
333 0 26

Thanks for the feedback Jeff.  We do have an FAQ here: http://docs.shopify.com/pos  It's a work in progress though.  We will be updating our main POS site soon to include more information.

Craig

0 Likes
Andrew_Paliga
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
233 0 29

Hi Jeff,

1 - Can it handle split-tender transactions?

Yes

2 - Can it handle partial refunds?

Yes

3 - What exactly can I put on a receipt?  I.e., can I do a header with store name, footer with website, etc?

All of the above. For printed receipt you can edit the header and footer text with anything you like. The email receipt is completely customizable using liquid css.

4 - Does your POS have any employee time-clock functionality?

Not currently

In regards to documentation, http://docs.shopify.com/pos should answer all your questions. Also, our app is free to try/test for 14 days.

Jeff_Kufalk
Tourist
14 0 2

Andrew, thank you!

For clarification, can we talk about CC processing using shopify POS?  If I'm reading your documentation correctly, the **ONLY** way credit cards can be processed through the POS is by using your "shopify payments" processing?  Is that correct or can I use a 3rd party processor like I do with my Shopify e-commerce account?

Nevermind.  Seems like everything I read is that the only way you can swipe a card through the POS is using Shopify Payments - at a substantially higher rate than other processors.  ugh.

0 Likes
Andrew_Paliga
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
233 0 29

Yes, you are correct. Our card reader that plugs into the iPad only works with Shopify Payments. 

However, if you cannot switch to Shopify Payments for whatever reason, you can still use an external credit card terminal to process transactions: http://docs.shopify.com/pos/about-pos/overview/shopify-payment-alternatives

The cards are processed completely outside of Shopify in this case, but all your orders will be recorded and your inventory will be 100% synched.

0 Likes
Jeff_Kufalk
Tourist
14 0 2

Yep, I looked into that.  But extra hardware, double receipts, just not real appealing to me, so if we go this route it will have to be with Shopify payments.  Right now that's the only downside of everything I've seen so far.

Thanks for your time with answering my questions!   You guys are awesome.

0 Likes
Paul_Schiefen
2 0 0

Same issue here!  This pos is brilliant, we currently use shopkeep and we like the ui and festures much better in your pos.  However, because of the limitation on processor, it would cost us several thousand dollars more annually to make the switch.  Let us know if this changes in the future!

0 Likes
Kevin_Hobgood
5 0 0

I was told by someone at customer support today that I could use my own 3rd party processor (Wells Fargo) through the onboard swiper but the above comments contradict what I was told earlier? Can someone please clarify. And they also said it takes 7 days to receive my money if I used their higher spotify CC processing. 

0 Likes