Synching Location Inventory and Numbers

Nekodragon
Tourist
8 0 5

Hi!

I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to synch a previously existing location's inventory and stock with a newly created location! This has been giving a bit of trouble, and it's a pain to go through manually changing all the details on many dozens of products.

Thanks!

P.S. I don't know how to use the CSV exported files

0 Likes
Anders
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
36 7 18

Hello, there!

Anders from the Shopify Social Care team here. Thanks for reaching out today.

The quickest way to update inventory between locations would be through the use of an 'Inventory CSV'. A CSV (comma separated values) is a spreadsheet format which contains product information, including inventory numbers. To view and edit CSV's, you'll want to use a spreadsheet program like Excel or Google Sheets, the latter of which is free to use.  We have a great guide which covers how CSV's work, as well as how to use them, here

Essentially, if you have the previous location already set up in your Shopify admin, head to the inventory tab and open up the specific location. Select 'Export' and you will be able to download a CSV of all of your product's inventory. 

Image_xfsUPAPezF

Once you have the exported CSV file, you can open it up in a spreadsheet program (I personally use Google Sheets) and double check to see if the inventory levels are all accurate. You can find a breakdown of what all of the header values in the inventory CSV mean here. Once you've confirmed that everything is looking good, head back to the admin, open up the location you wish to transfer the inventory to, and select 'Import' in the same area as above. When the import finishes, it will update (overwrite) only the inventory quantities of your products in that location. The import doesn’t create a new location or update the values which identify products. And that's it! No more need to manually update the inventory levels between locations.

If you run into any troubles with this process, be sure to let me know! 

Anders | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes