Tap & Chip Reader keeps unpairing

Bowhill
Tourist
10 0 6

After switching our store and pop ups to Shopify POS we are now going to have to abandon and go back to Square POS. The Tap and Chip readers not only disconnect on a daily and regular basis but they are not lasting more than a few weeks before they die completely...will not charge or turn on. We have had 8 readers in all now. All of the original readers (4) where replaced and now the new ones are failing. We could switch to the more reliable Chip Swipe but not sure they are better yet for sure and many customers want to Apple Pay or tap for contactless transactions.
Its the opposite now as we have to keep manually entering cards.

Sure wish the US could have the lighting connecting swipe reader as a fail safe backup. We have wasted a lot of time and frustrated many employees and customers. There is no admission of a systemic problem with the Tap and Chip readers. 

0 Likes
SummitApparel
Tourist
9 0 8

Hi Bowhill,

These readers can absolutely be a frustration to use, as for reliability. Question for you, How often are you expecting the reader to run off its own power? 

We have found that by keeping them plugged in all the time maintains a much better connection and we have zero drops. When on-site for expo sales, we plug our chip/swipe reader into a small GoalZero USB battery and it has been clutch for our reader for 7-8 hours and it doesnt even drain it.

Just a suggestion.

Brian (Summit Apparel Solutions)

Screen Shot 2020-08-29 at 1.13.55 PM.png

0 Likes
Bowhill
Tourist
10 0 6

We are not having an issue with the battery running out...but the entire reader going dead and will not revive or recharge. Sometimes it will just have a permanent dual red flashing lights, some times one blue light. No amount of resetting with paper clip, or trying to turn off and on with blue button gets them back working. It is more than a battery and blue tooth pairing issue. 

Never had this issue with Square and the thing with Square is you can run down to Best Buy or Amazon and get one immediately. Since the Shopify reader has to come from Shopify, you have quite a wait to get a replacement. I cannot believe more people don't have an issue if we are having an issue with so many readers. 

0 Likes
Bowhill
Tourist
10 0 6

We are looking at alternative payment processors but only Shopify Payments keeps you in the POS software to process. You can use other porcessors but it is far from seamless and there is no documentation at Shopify to show how it works in advance. They do list dozens of approved processors, but nothing on how well it works or how to setup.

0 Likes
GinaBolt
Tourist
3 0 0

We have had this problem ongoing as well, for the past couple of months. We are on our second tap and chip, after the first one died within two days of starting it up. Today the second one wouldn't start up (and I agree, the design of having to remove it from the dock to get to the power button is a horrible idea), and the chip and swipe reader we just paired today is not staying paired. Grrrrr. This is so incredibly infuriating. I am not optimistic and feel stuck working with the Shopify POS.

0 Likes
balladofthebird
Tourist
9 0 9

Adding another frustrated Shopify POS user.  Feels good to have hardware that unpairs constantly and now we have more fees to pay.  I would feel better if this was a truly robust system.

0 Likes
JCAndrea
Shopify Partner
34 1 8

We just noticed the little "reset" button (or hole) (NOT the blue button) on the tap/chip reader... when one of ours was locked up. Hitting this button seemed to reset the reader that was completely locked up. Anybody else have experience with using the "reset" button?

image (2).png

0 Likes
Roostcollection
Explorer
63 0 28

Here is a fix for the card reader.

Everytime the reader dies, call help and DEMAND your monthly service FEES be REFUNDED!

Just got Mine.

9 Months, 4 readers, DEMAND MONEY TALKS