Tap and Chip POS defective

Highlighted
3 0 0

The Tap and Chip POS I have (#2649) does the following when I attempt to use it to take payments:

1) I get a message on the Shopify POS (fully updated) that it is "unable to take payment".

2) A split second later, I get a screen that says "Declined".

3) When I tap on "Return to Payment", I get a message that says that the card reader is disconnected. 

However, when I go to "Hardware", the card reader indicates that it is still connected. 

Is there a firmware update pending for Tap and Chip readers? How else can this be troubleshooted. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
655 35 105

Hi, @Shana_Joseph.

Tira here, from Shopify.

Thanks for reaching out with your question about your Tap and Chip Reader. I appreciate you listing the error messages that you are receiving. I'm happy to help you with troubleshooting this and I have a few questions:

- What payment method are you using to take payment? 

- Did this happen with one customer, or many customers? Can the cards take payments?

- What kind of internet connection is your Shopify POS connected to when you receive this error? 

You can check out our help doc on troubleshooting steps for our Tap & Chip Reader, here: Troubleshoot the Tap & Chip Reader.

Once I have a reply with more information from you, I can dig into this further for you! 

I look forward to hearing from you.

Tira | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

What payment method are you using to take payment?

Both the Tap method and the Chip method, on iOS. 

Did this happen with one customer, or many customers? Can the cards take payments?

Several customers. And the cards can be used for payments. I've had to use manual entry or other POS as a result.

What kind of internet connection is your Shopify POS connected to when you receive this error? 

Wifi or celluar data. Connections are strong with both.

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0
We were promised a replacement and haven’t received it yet. None of our transactions are going through with the device and it is affecting our business
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
655 35 105

Thank you for your reply, @Shana_Joseph.

I would like to take a further look into this for you. I have sent an email to the email address listed on your Shopify Community profile. Could you please check your inbox?

Once I hear from you, I can dig into this for you.  I look forward to hearing from you!

Tira | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes