Tap and Chip reader doesn't work on iPhone 12?

cs1601
Tourist
5 0 4

Got a brand new iPhone 12 Pro Max, iOS 14.2, and I also got my brand new tap/chip reader purchased from Shopify. 

The tap/chip reader will not pair with the iPhone 12. Here's what I've done to troubleshoot:

• removed/reinstalled Shopify POS app (yes, the newer one)
  • Power cycled the phone
  • Let the reader go to sleep, and then woke it back up and tried to re-pair
  • Factory reset the reader using the pin in the back
  • Let the reader fully die (power) and then fully recharged
  • checked bluetooth enabled, Shopify POS app has permission to access bluetooth

Here's the full process:

• Turn on the reader, since it's new, the lights move side to side waiting to pair
  • open shopify POS app
  • settings > set up hardware > tap and chip
  • Tap and Chip #### shows up right away, press "connect"
  • Wait a few seconds, no prompt for bluetooth pairing, and then the app tells me it couldn't connect

As a final test, I was able to pair the reader quickly with an iPhone 11 Pro Max without issue. 

Thoughts? If it won't work with an iPhone 12 Pro Max, then I will need to return the reader as defective to Shopify and find another piece of hardware. 

JoshPuetz
1 0 0

Having this same problem on an iPhone 12 Pro: the Tap and Chip reader is detected in the ShopifyPOS app, but won't pair. I've tried resetting my network settings and even wiped my iPhone with no luck.

0 Likes
cs1601
Tourist
5 0 4

I've opened a case with support and they're not aware of a known issue with iPhone 12, but I've sent the person this thread showing a pattern emerging. 

0 Likes
drecos
Tourist
3 0 0

I am experiencing exact same issue with the iPhone 12 Pro Max. Tap and Chip Reader is detected but will not connect.

0 Likes
KaylaMartin
2 0 0

I just upgraded my phone to iPhone pro max as well and not working. I had a 10 before. 

0 Likes
Hopeysue
1 0 0

I am also having the same issue with iPhone 12 Pro Max. Previously had iPhone XS Max without issue. In trying to troubleshoot with the iPhone 12, I was able to successfully pair to my old iPad Air 2 so I know the reader is able to pair. 

0 Likes
PatrickG
2 0 2

We have had endless connection issues with the Tap and Chip on our Ipads. We bought the older swipe reader and it seems to work better. I would rather use the newer reader and not buy all new older readers, has anyone had and solved this issue?

0 Likes
dougissi
1 0 0

+1 for same problem with iPhone 12 Pro

0 Likes
scrappuccino
8 0 0

Does shopify ever check these forums and resolve? Can't believe you asked in November and now, in April, I'm here having the same problem. On the phone with Shopify who act like they didn't know this was a problem. 

0 Likes
KaylaMartin
2 0 0
I contacted support the other day and it was fixed we did a few things made sure it was no longer connected to any of the other iPads or anything and a few other steps and it now works
0 Likes