Tax Exemption Eligibility by product?

Christopher_Wi8
Shopify Partner
10 0 0

I was enormously happy to find that the POS had added the ability to set a customer as tax exempt, and I hate to be that guy, BUT!

I sell screen printing supplies, and a lot of our products are eligible for tax exemption, like ink. Certain products should still be taxable, though, even if we have a resale certificate on file. I'd love a per-product flag of "eligible for tax exemption," or at least the ability to toggle tax back on for those products.

0 Likes
Carson2
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
68 0 3

Hi Christopher!

You can exempt specific products from taxes by following the steps in this guide. Shopify POS will use these settings and will skip calculating taxes for those products.

If you have any questions, or want more information, don't hesitate to ask or get in touch with our support team.

Product Manager at Shopify
0 Likes
Christopher_Wi8
Shopify Partner
10 0 0

Thanks for the quick reply! Unfortunately that's not helpful in this case. The point here is that I want to make some items ALWAYS taxable in the state of Florida, even if a customer has the tax exempt flag turned on.

0 Likes
Jroyce1180
Pathfinder
85 4 15

@Christopher_Wi8 I am curious if you ever found a solution to this. I was interested in building an app that deals with this scenario. 

0 Likes