Tipping Feature - Adding Tips to Checkout on POS

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
77 0 14

I took the app down from the store. It is not possible to do tipping effectively until this happens.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 1

Sorry to hear that. Please let me know if you are ever able to implement either of your solutions and get your tip app functioning properly. I would use it as a useful alternative until Shopify built their own tip feature into the POS app.

Thanks!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
7 0 1

Hey all,

I believe I might have created a decent work around for this feature. We were looking to get this done as well but of course Shopify always says no ETA or they are working on it. Well I have no more patience for it. 

I created a tipping feature that works well with our clients. You create a collection of products with values of dollars. We are a simple bar / coffee hub so this worked for us. I created $1, $2, $3, $4, $5, and NO TIP products. Make sure to have these as no taxes. You select this collection, swivle it around for the customer to see, let them choose, then run their card. It ads the value and bam, you have a tip on there. You can even add a tag to help tracking if you so desire. 

Hope this helps some people out! 

1 Like
Highlighted
2 0 3

It's a little naive to assume (Shopify) that all customers are retailers and therefore don't need tips.  These days small business' are the invovatiors and there are a myriad of unique business out there that operate in a way that combines aspects of retail and hospitality.  And anyone who wants to take the next step of selling online will of course be attracted to Shopify.  But then moving all other sales over to the Shopify POS app is dependent on simple functions like tips.  

Please see my topic  SET UP CAFE IN SHOPIFY POS if anyone can offer any suggestions.  

3 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 2

This is insane that people have been asking for this for 3+ years and you still have not been able to provide it.  It can't possibly take 1 engineer longer than 1 day to develop the code for this.  Assuming that your high end developer is making 100,000 per year, it would cost $384.61 in payroll to add this to Shopify.  How in the world does this not make business sense?  

2 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 2

I echo the comments listed above. I am a bakery owner who has been researching Shopify POS. I've been pleased with our online store so far and would love to bring our in-store business to Shopify as well. However, I absolutely cannot switch unless Shopify can offer a tipping feature -- and one that prompts the customer to tip or not tip, not one where the customer has to proactively press a "tip" button.  Until Shopify implements a tipping feature on their POS, I cannot move my in-store business to them. 

2 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 3

Is there any movement towards Shopify adding this?

The POS should have a tipping feature for customers. The feature should a tip box where customers can easily select certain options. For example, $10, $20, 30, etc. It would be faster and convenient for customers to select, rather than typing in something. There can also be an descriptive option below each number like 10%, 20%, etc. so customers will not underestimate what they intend to give. This is so helpful and guarantees competitive satisfaction for the transaction. Shopify is actually loosing customers due to their competition that offers these services. 

3 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
31 0 10

Hello Shopify! Can you please update on us where you are with the tipping feature?

3 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 1

We've been using Shopify for a few years, have requested this in the past, and gosh, it seems like pretty straightforward functionality, no?  Contemplating different solutions...back to Square?  Thanks for your attention.

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
2 0 2

I've been following along on the tipping issue and I'd like to add my voice. We have a customer in the service industry already using Shopify for the online sales of their products. But they also have many physical locations across the US where they provide services and their clients tip on checkout.

Because there's no tipping feature, they have not moved to the Shopify POS and there's no incentive for us to build in some additional scheduling features via the POS SDK. We're moving ahead with design and development of an app that would make Shopify their total solution, but the tipping thing is a real disappointment.

I'd love to see Shopify reprioritize this.

Thanks!

2 Likes