Turn sales tax off by default in Shopify POS

Michael_Barber
Tourist
6 0 2

Is there a setting that allows me to default to not collecting sales tax? We mostly sell in person out of the state we are based and ship from and don't collect sales tax. It's a nuisance to turn them off every time, on every order.

Sam_R_
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
37 0 6

Hey Michael!

It sounds like you just need to disable the "Automatically retrieve local Sales Tax" option in your POS Admin. You can access this by clicking on the hamburger menu in the top left of your POS and then selecting Settings. In the bottom of these settings, you will see this option and you just want to make sure it is toggled off!

This will ignore the State you are selling in for Taxes and you will be able to make sales without charges Taxes.

Hope this helps!

0 Likes
Michael_Barber
Tourist
6 0 2

Hi Sam -

I appreciate the response, but this actually doesn't work. I tried it previously and all it does is default to the default sales location. For instance, our default location is Scottsdale, AZ. If I turn off the "Auto-retrieve local tax rates" it just applies the local tax rates from Scottsdale. The desired outcome is that NO sales taxes are charged at all, but made available if we need them. Is that an option?

Thanks

0 Likes