URGENT REQUEST: Add customer to order after sale is complete

cmscss
Shopify Partner
177 2 175

This is a constant frustration, we have a lot of trouble with this via the Shopify app and Shopify POS.

Many things crop up in retail or at fast-paced consumer shows where we need to associate a customer with an order after the order is complete - like the customer changing their mind and now wants it shipped.

Associating customer data with an order is critical for so many obvious reasons, it's truly mind-numbing we cannot do this in Shopify.

The whole point of computers is being able to edit stuff - right?

Please help!

Lisa
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
259 3 69

Hello there, 

Lisa here from the Social Care team at Shopify. Thanks for sharing the frustrations you're experiencing with the Shopify and POS app. I will reach out to you via email so I can get more details about your store. We can discuss what Shopify could do to improve your experience and I will submit a feature request for you!

Currently, editing POS orders to add shipping options after the fact is not a feature. You can add a shipping address, and edit the customer's details, however, you cannot authorize payment for shipping to an existing order without new permissions from the customer. As a workaround, if your customer decides to change their mind after you have put the order through, you can keep a shipping rate list handy for reference when completing POS orders and add the rate as a new product. See here for how to add a new product from the POS app here which you can use to charge shipping through a new order.

I'd like to clarify that when checking out on the POS app via an iPad, you can add the shipping address at the time of sale. However, if you're on mobile or any other device you need to use the above method of having shipping options added as their own products. 

I totally agree that associating customer data with an order is critical! As mentioned above, after an order is placed on POS, you are able to add and edit the customer details after the fact, please see screenshot here:

This will ensure that both the order for shipping and the original order will be logged together under the customer's order history. The customer order details are located under the "Customers" tab of your Shopify admin, where you can click into their names to see all orders. It is a good idea to utilize the comment section of orders that allows admins to write important details. In this section, you can include a comment that the delivery details are on another invoice. While it isn't ideal that you can't sync the orders into one, it is still possible to initiate the additional requests for the customer after the fact and keep a log of the customer's transactions. 

Alternatively, in your Shopify app, you can generate a draft order to invoice the shipping. If you're using carrier calculated shipping, this will enable you to calculate accurate shipping and invoice the customer right away. 

Also, how often are you selling on POS, is it on a regular basis in a retail store or do you run pop up shops? If you haven't already feel free to check out Shopify's retail blog for great advice for in-person sales.

- Lisa

Lisa | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Dirky
Excursionist
36 0 3

Hi,

I'd like to know if this feature ever got added. One day, in the future, not too distant future, we will be a busy, thriving establishment again.

We are using the Marsello loyalty app on the POS. If we forget, or do not get time, to add the customer to an order which has taken, we need to be able to go back to the order and somehow assign the customer to it, so they are rewarded with their Marsello loyalty points.

I have moved our system over to Shopify and the Shopify POS over the past few weeks and invested a lot of time and expense in this, I'd like to know that you are listening to customers requests and helping us out in return.

Look forward to hearing from Shopify and maybe Marsello on this!?

Thanks

@Lisa wrote:

Hello there, 

Lisa here from the Social Care team at Shopify. Thanks for sharing the frustrations you're experiencing with the Shopify and POS app. I will reach out to you via email so I can get more details about your store. We can discuss what Shopify could do to improve your experience and I will submit a feature request for you!

Currently, editing POS orders to add shipping options after the fact is not a feature. You can add a shipping address, and edit the customer's details, however, you cannot authorize payment for shipping to an existing order without new permissions from the customer. As a workaround, if your customer decides to change their mind after you have put the order through, you can keep a shipping rate list handy for reference when completing POS orders and add the rate as a new product. See here for how to add a new product from the POS app here which you can use to charge shipping through a new order.

I'd like to clarify that when checking out on the POS app via an iPad, you can add the shipping address at the time of sale. However, if you're on mobile or any other device you need to use the above method of having shipping options added as their own products. 

I totally agree that associating customer data with an order is critical! As mentioned above, after an order is placed on POS, you are able to add and edit the customer details after the fact, please see screenshot here:

This will ensure that both the order for shipping and the original order will be logged together under the customer's order history. The customer order details are located under the "Customers" tab of your Shopify admin, where you can click into their names to see all orders. It is a good idea to utilize the comment section of orders that allows admins to write important details. In this section, you can include a comment that the delivery details are on another invoice. While it isn't ideal that you can't sync the orders into one, it is still possible to initiate the additional requests for the customer after the fact and keep a log of the customer's transactions. 

Alternatively, in your Shopify app, you can generate a draft order to invoice the shipping. If you're using carrier calculated shipping, this will enable you to calculate accurate shipping and invoice the customer right away. 

Also, how often are you selling on POS, is it on a regular basis in a retail store or do you run pop up shops? If you haven't already feel free to check out Shopify's retail blog for great advice for in-person sales.

- Lisa

@Lisa wrote:

Hello there, 

- Lisa

Tammiz
Tourist
4 0 2

Hi, I would also like to know if we could assign a client name to an order that as taken place  where the staff have forgotten to assign name before closing the sale. From info provided by Lisa we can edit shipping address and clients email or phone but not add a name. So clients tend to not build up there loyalty points. 

Many thanks Tamara 

Lindsey_Gray
1 0 2

This was an urgent request 2 years ago. Any updates, Lisa?

Additionally your fix/workaround DOES NOT work in the event that someone is a customer already. I cannot change the order customer to match a customer that already exists. I can't even add their phone number contact info to this order because the phone number is taken already.   While it is possible to switch from the pad to the desktop and add a customer after the fact, that only works if it is novel customer data.  The work-around does not apply to adding an existing customer to an order. I'm not even sure if it texted the receipt because after switching around and manually entering phone number it even tags the order with a note message "the phone number is already attached to customer" rather than a "receipt was texted to customer" message.

We want to know when this feature request was sent to the development team and what progress they have made.

-Eric

Red_Stick_Spice
Trailblazer
155 0 49

PLEASE FIX THIS!!!!

Since we cant merge customers, which is a very basic function...at least allow us to change the customer.

With Rewards apps we are struggling as you automatically assign a customer from CC swipe, and we have customers with multiple profiles because of this which causes major issues with our Rewards program.

We must have the ability to merge duplicate customers...this has been requested for years now and we still dont have it. Changing a customer after the sale would help tremendously.

Your programmers really need to spend a day in a real retail store to understand how frustrating your limitations are.

PLEASE HELP US!

Spice. Sweet. Savory. Hot.
0 Likes
Alex291
Excursionist
16 0 3

Okay, thanks

0 Likes
yaelifineart
1 0 0

Agreed.

This is a VERY necessary function!

I fail to see why this is not allowed?! We MUST be able to track our customers and what they are ordering, etc. There needs to be a way to associate a customer with an order after the fact.

It's been well over two years since this was initially brought up. When can we expect a fix?

Thanks,

0 Likes
Max_Sadlowski
Shopify Expert
53 1 17

Hi All, I am the developer of the Draft Orders for POS app, and adding functionality like this would likely not be too difficult for us. I just double checked, and on the new POS, there is an option to "Add Customer" after a sale on both the checkout screens and in the order lookup area.

Is the current issue that it is not possible to edit the customer associated to an order? Would love to be able to add this a feature to our application to help support this use case.

Max Sadlowski - CEO - BentoSMB - Shopify Expert
Red_Stick_Spice
Trailblazer
155 0 49

Its not so simple...The issue is when the customer has multiple accounts...there is no way to merge them. And I dont mean the customer created multiple accounts...the issue is Shopify creates an account by default...except the customer cant access it. We have literally hundreds and hundreds of these duplicate accounts. Which means we pay more for apps, we deal with the frustrated customers that dont understand why they cant create an account with their email address, or why when the log in to their account they only see some of their orders. To make matters worse, we have to deal with a Rewards Program that is a giant cluster **bleep**...all while Shopify ignores our requests to fix this. Every single day I get an email or phone call related to this issue. EVERY SINGLE DAY. I just spent 15 minutes of my evening trying to help a customer activate an account he didn't know he had.

The issue happens for a variety of reasons, but most commonly its because they have used a different email address in the past so Shopify sees them as two different customers and won't allow us to merge them. This causes big problems for anyone using Rewards Programs, as the customer isn t getting all their rewards.

We have customers with 3, 4 and 5 accounts (Shopify POS creates an account some how from CC swipes automatically) so some sales go to that account. If the previously used a maiden name and then later changed it, its yet another account. If their spouse comes another account is created..it goes on and on and Shopify won't allow us to merge them.

Spice. Sweet. Savory. Hot.