Unrecognized bar code

Tiger_Lee1
15 0 0

Has anybody else had problem with getting an error message of an unrecognized bar code for a valid bar code.  I just got a second ipad and installed the pos.  On the new pos, I have gotten this issue, but on the old ipad the bar code works fine.  When I go to do a search to manual do the transaction, it doesn't find the item. I have updated the os and pos software. I contacted tec support and they didn't have a solution, said they would get back with me.  I am in the middle of my very busy season and have not gotten much support in the past with issues.

0 Likes
Benjamin_C
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
368 0 40

Hello Tiger, Ben here - your Shopify Guru! 

I would suggest you follow this guide for the 1D scanner:

https://docs.shopify.com/pos/retail-package/troubleshoot/barcode-scanners/1d-barcode-scanner#problem...

It is also worth mentioning:

Sometimes barcode labels printed by the original manufacturer of your products add or omit leading or trailing zeros. For example, the barcode 00123450 might be shown on the label as 12345.

To avoid entering the wrong barcode when adding inventory in your Admin, you should always read manufacturers' barcodes using an Android or iPhone app, rather that copying what's shown on the label.

Did you assign these barcodes yourself? Or did you have the Barcode printer app assign them to the products for you?

I hope this helps! Feel free to reach out if you have any further questions :)

Cheers,
Ben C - Shopify Guru
Support@Shopify.com

0 Likes
Tiger_Lee1
15 0 0

That is not correct.  I have two ipad and two bar code readers.  The same bar code read prefectly fine on one of them and is not recognized by the other one.

0 Likes
Benjamin_C
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
368 0 40

Hey Tiger, 

Make sure the effected iPad has the most up to date IOS and POS app. Then I would recommend repairing the effected scanner to the POS app. 

Curious to know do both scanners work with the barcode on your ipad that is not effected? Is this just effecting one of the scanners on the broken ipad ? Or are both scanners unable to scan the effected barcode?

I hope this helps! Feel free to reach out if you have any further questions :)

Cheers,
Ben C - Shopify Guru
Support@Shopify.com

0 Likes
rychelle_tuck
Tourist
9 0 3

Hi Original poster,

i know this is outdated, but I am wondering if you found a solution.  I am having the EXACT same problem and it has nothing to do with the scanners or barcode.  Items are just not showing up on our MAIN POS but will show up on the admin side and other devices.  Desperate for a solution as this is really messing with my inventory.  

Thanks. 

0 Likes
rychelle_tuck
Tourist
9 0 3

Ps.  Both shopify and my iPad have the latest updates. 

0 Likes
Tiger_Lee1
15 0 0

Shopify suggestions, was of no help at all.  I only use two ipads in the buy season, which is now past.  So I am not currently using the other scanner, so I have not be having that problem currently.  Sorry I don't have some secret solution fo r you.

0 Likes
barberaoutlet
1 0 0

Hello ! sorry to bother you , but I'm desperate since 2 weeks. I have the same problem ! Shopify Pos does Not recognize the bar code 9 times out of 10 !! on Shopify admin it works fine , but in Shopify pos not. Did you find a solution ? Shopify support also suggested to update the software but it's already the lates version . Thank you really Much !!

0 Likes
KingsStat
Excursionist
36 1 6

Have you tried removing the barcode form the product in Admin, saving and then re-adding the barcode and again saving.

Also, close POS completely (double click home button and swipe up on app), then re-load POS.

We were getting this issue, and the above would clear it. Was an issue with POS that was resolved with an update so check IOS and POS are both current.

0 Likes