Using Card Reader with Online Store Checkout

PD17
Shopify Partner
6 0 2

Hi there!

I'm looking to set up a 'self serve' system in a physical retail location - where a customer can browse a Shopify Online Store - and then pay at checkout with a debit/credit card (chip+pin or contactless).

Of course physical card payments are no problem with Shopify POS - but in this instance, I need to use the Shopify Online store.

Does anyone have any pointers or experience with this?

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
Bo
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1680 176 490

Hey there, @PD17 

Bo here from Shopify Support! 

That is a really great question - the workflow you are describing would be similar to a self-serve menu at a fast-food restaurant, right? While this currently is not an option with Shopify, it is a really great suggestion. At this time it is not possible for a merchant to browse a website and pay for their order using a chip and pin/card reader - it is one or the other. They would need to either checkout using the traditional Online Checkout or be checked out using the POS System. I would love to hear more about your application of this so I can send this as feedback to our developers. Why is it that you need this workflow? Could you elaborate a little more on the steps you would like to see and the necessity of it? 

I look forward to hearing from you,

Bo

Bo | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

PD17
Shopify Partner
6 0 2

Hi Bo,

Thanks for your reply. 

I'm wondering if a solution would be currently possible by processing orders at checkout via a 3rd party payment provider, and using an external POS application there? 

Someone else brought up Stripe's Terminal (https://stripe.com/gb/terminal) - which could be interesting. Although I don't know if their setup would allow for terminal sales to be part of the purchase flow from Shopify.

0 Likes
Bo
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1680 176 490

Just to clarify, @PD17 , the workflow you are seeking would be as follows: The customer browses through your site and adds items to their cart, upon checkout they would then present their card and use a card reader to pay for the items - would that be correct? If you could answer my questions in the above comment as well that would really help! Thank you!

All the Best,

Bo

PD17
Shopify Partner
6 0 2

Hi Bo,

Yes - there will be multiple 'terminals' in a physical store, where customers can browse a regular Shopify store on a fixed touchscreen. Terminal will be locked to that URL. Store's front-end will be designed for tablet use.

This is so that they can browse the rest of the Shop's inventory, and purchase additional items if required. Esp. if they're bulky/heavy items that make home delivery more sensible.

I do appreciate you passing this along to the Shopify team for future updates; however I am looking for a solution for a project commencing now - whether that's Shopify or not. Any pointers or feedback you can help with that might make this possible right now (presumably using a 3rd party payment processor) would be appreciated!

Thanks

0 Likes
Bo
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1680 176 490

Thank you for clarifying, @PD17, I appreciate it! This is not something that I was able to find readily available from our app store or through other third parties that work with Shopify. I would recommend reaching out to a Shopify Expert to see if this is something that can be built. 

Best of Luck,

Bo

0 Likes
SupperFoods
3 0 0

Anyone has found a solution to this?

I'm opening a food truck and want customers to browse menus on tablet and allow them to tap their phone or card for contactless pickup. 

supper-foods.com

If anyone knows how to develop it I'm willing to hire. 

Thanks.

Supper Foods

0 Likes