Hi everyone! I am looking to understand what features you all feel are missing from Shopify POS. I would love to hear what issues you come up against, where there are stumbling blocks, where things don't work, or where you just can't seem to find a solution to a problem. Anything and everything, let me know!
The reason we want to know is to help build solutions that work for Shopify POS merchants. We have built a number of POS apps now, and want to continue to build out new options that help merchants succeed!
A couple of things we would like to see is:
We are a 98% Brick and Mortar business. Most of this is POS issues.
• Ability to for simple manual returns at retail POS when a customer does not have any type receipt or know the actual name it was purchased under. Just like custom sales only reverse. Return, Select item, How to credit customer, Cash or gift card. See next post for detailed explanation.
• Ability to do as many returns or exchanges on the sale as the merchant wants.
• On the Home page in the admin, Post what shopify is working on. Updates to system, iPad etc. COMMUNICATION!!!!!!!!
• How about a TAP & CHIP reader that is not bluetooth. Or just works. 8 months we've had 4. Constantly looses connection. Can't make a sale when you can't take a card! Purchased a second system to use the swipe reader, because it cost more to manually enter the card. Employee time as well.
• Vendor list under products. Basic info account #, Phone, Rep, Address, email......
• Ability to put an entire collection on sale at one time. Or add the sale price to the initial product listing and be able to activate sale price by collection.
• Print pick ticket with sku#
• A (note) field on the product page so owners can make a note on something specific about the product they sell. IE where it is stored, shelf, or manufactures true name etc. We change the product name to protect our sources.
• Sell an online gift card and have the gift card go to the recipient with an note field attached on why they're getting the gift card.
• Ability to capture credit card sales when internet/power is down. Square and Clover have this ability.
• If Shopify is going to have an purchase order page, How about when inventory is received it is added to inventory. Currently it just receives it. That I know, because I have a packing slip.
• How about a preference page, so products could be sorted always the way the owners sees fit. Or current price, or SKU. Most times we know the vendor and type of product.
• Ability to have the sort order on products be random. Not just Best seller, price, alphabetically. Better yet Best sellers with every third or so item randomly imputed. Keeps things interesting
• Under purchase order, we can add a supplier info. But can’t see or have access to the list of suppliers? Then when we receive items on PO they are not added to inventory, So why create a PO?
• Stop with the apps. These only allow fingers to point back and forth, And we the merchant are left with no answer. If apps are shopify approved make them shopify accountable.
Manual Returns: Lets say a customer purchases items one being a gift. Does tell us, just a purchase of items. The then give an item to someone as a GIFT. That person then comes to our store to return the GIFT. No gift receipt. Now we are supposed to interrogate this person.
Here's what shopify wants us to do.
Do you have a receipt? No. If was a GIFT. (maybe it was paid by cash)
Who or when was it purchased? I don't know when, But it was by Sandy P....
This can now go two ways.
1. Let me look up Sandy P. in our system. Hmm, We don't show a Sandy P. in our system. (feeling odd she says) She told me she purchased it here. (possibly used husbands card under another name)
-----OK, Maybe she paid cash, we can give you a store credit in the form of a gift card. Let me run into the back office and login to my admin and issue you a gift card. (This takes time, for which the customer has to wait. This also tells the other customer in line that they have to wait. And this leaves the counter unattended.
2. Let me look up Sandy P. in our system. OK, Here it is. We returned the item and issued you a gift card.
----Later we get a call from the original buyer Sandy P. saying. I just got an email that an item I purchased was returned and it wasn't me. It was the gift I gave.
----Now we have to explain that your friend returned the item you gave them. This is a very odd and bad conversation to have. Our guess is that Sandy P. will not be buying gifts from us for fear of the embarrassing situation.
All this could be avoided in a simple timely fix. On the POS a simple Manual Return. Select the item in our inventory, Then select the way we would like to issue the return, Cash or Gift card. Simple, fast and most important no embarrassing situations.
*Now what if the person that returned the item wanted something else (a candle). The balance would still be handled the same way as scenario #1. Embarrassing!
Then if the gift receiver later wanted to return the candle (say it was the wrong size) the shopify system would not allow it to be returned because only ONE return per transaction.
Simple Manual Return
Hi I have a return!
Do you have any receipt? No.
(Our Policy, If we sold it, we will return it. even if it was from another business)
Look up item, select and issue gift card or cash. Our discretion.
Customer is happy, we will sell the returned item and the cash stays in our business. Just gained a repeat customer. That's customer loyalty.
@offermagl Thanks for your input, this is awesome to see and super helpful.
Please let me know if anything else comes up that we could potentially help with. Ill see what we might be able to do about integrating with Stocky.
@Roostcollection Thanks for all of the details. Ill try to respond to each of these:
In terms of your wish list, many of these relate to admin areas that are POS specific or anything that we really are able to handle.
In terms of apps, while I feel the frustration, apps are a critical part of Shopify and the reason why it has been able to accomplish so much. It's important to remember a few things about apps as well:
Hope my answers help and please let me know if there are any other POS specific issues you have seen!
@sosewboutique This is a common problem we run into. The biggest problem with this is that the price can't be dynamic in Shopify. What we would like to do is setup templated products that you could then choose from, name the price, and then add to the cart. The product would be added to your store dynamically though, would that be ok? Or could we simply use custom sales for this? Would love to hear more about the need and how we might be able to solve this for you.