What Features is POS Missing?

sosewboutique
Tourist
6 0 2

@Max_Sadlowski So the only real time that we need something like this is when we are dealing with our embroidery customers. We do have set prices for certain sizes of monograms, but if a customer orders a custom design or a business wants their logo on a shirt we need to be able to enter the custom prices for these products at checkout. While we can use the custom sale for this, it messes up our sales analytics when we are tracking the amount and types of monograms sold. What we would need a couple different product cards (Custom Boutique Embroidery, Custom Commercial Embroidery, CE Left Chest Logo, and CE Name), that we could add or change the price of from the register. As long as it works and is easy to use, i'm not particularly picky on how it's implemented. Does that answer all your questions? 

0 Likes
sslair
2 0 0

we went from a "paper" system to POS

Lots of advantages but the one thing I can't seem to overcome is in-store credits. We have customers on our old accounts that have credit balances that need to be tracked.

It would be so much easier if their account could have a credit balance on it . Heck if we could even just FLAG their account so we know to check our paper copy for that balance that would be soooo helpful.

0 Likes
Max_Sadlowski
Shopify Expert
54 1 21

@sslair This is a really good point. The best option would be to grant them a gift card potentially, therefore that credit could be used online and in-store. Outside that though, you could tag a customer however that won't show up on the cart of the POS. This is a really good point though. 

One other option would be to look at using one of the loyalty apps that integrate with POS. This would allow you to add a bunch of points to their accounts and then those would show up right inside the cart when you added the customer. 

We will look for a way to include this in our app so that its more clear that customers are tagged a certain way or have gift cards available to be used.

Max Sadlowski - CEO - BentoSMB - Shopify Expert
Rivertowninkery
Explorer
46 0 30

@Max_Sadlowski   YES! Please make something new to save us from the hell that is using shopify POS.

I echo most of the complaints here but the biggest miss on the new POS is the layout and clunkiness of the design.  If a store is using a POS, then all they really "need" to do is ring in products.  So the products should be the most important thing, front and center.  Why would they be hidden in tiles and hard to find.  I end up just doing a search for every single I item I ring in. Huge pain. 

Really the classic version of the POS is a great simple product.  I would start there as far as layout and design go, then add in some new functions that poeple think are missing. 

So I guess I am saying the biggest thing is a product grid, that takes up most of the screen.

0 Likes
offermagl
Tourist
4 0 0

@Max_Sadlowski Thank you for the update.  We were excited to hear that Shopify was taking over support for Stocky in May of 2020.  This is one of the reasons we selected Stocky to do our ordering.  However, since May 2020, there has not been a single feature upgrade or improvement on the Stocky side.  We are completely limited to what this unchanged app has had to offer for the past year.  

A tighter integration with Shopify and the POS is what we were looking forward to, but so far have been disappointed.  Any progress you could make on the Stocky side would be leaps and bounds ahead of anything Shopify has done.  Happy to chat in more detail about the lack of features if you would like.

Thank you!

0 Likes
Max_Sadlowski
Shopify Expert
54 1 21

@offermagl Thanks for the insight. The Stocky transition has been a rocky one to say the least, a lot of people have had a rough time with it when the new POS rolled out and required the Pro version to access it. We for sure think there should be some updates on this as well, but for the time being there are not. I am hopeful that we will get some new information about updates to POS soon.

0 Likes
Max_Sadlowski
Shopify Expert
54 1 21

@Rivertown From what I remember when I spoke to product designers and the product manager of POS, the reason for the transition to the new setup was two fold:

1. Most merchants were not using the product grid. They searched, scanned barcodes, or ended up adding things in different ways (I realize most is vague and in this case, does not refer to your situation).
  2. A grid of tiles allowed for customization by all merchants however they wanted, the addition of often required pieces that were buried (like applying discount codes) and to ensure that apps were able to take a more prominent role.  

With the tile setup, you could recreate the systems previously had with products and collections. It is a lengthy process to do as it has to be done manually, but it can be done. My biggest suggestion is to organize things in collections that make sense for your store, make those collections only available on POS, and then add tiles for those collections. It will lead to fast adding of products, without search, and you can easily update those collections as needed (or even make them smart collections). Hope this helps!

Will_Cervarich
Excursionist
14 0 12
  • New POS doesn't allow for Shipping to be added to an exchange. You can mark the new order as unfulfilled, but you can't enter a shipping address or select a shipping service on POS.
  • Infinite exchanges - customers don't just exchange once. Buy, exchange, exchange is not uncommon. I'm waiting for our first buy, exchange, exchange, exchange... Current ability to process this is awful... requires being in Shopify Web Admin and workflow that makes for questionable bookkeeping.
  • Ability to issue store credit in amounts that exceed the initial payment received. Often we'd like to give a customer back $ to account for a single-use coupon they used and should be able to reuse on a future purchase.  
0 Likes