Year End Inventory Count - manual?!

Highlighted
9 0 0

We only do inventory once a year for our year end and it is cruicial it is accurate.  With roughly 8,000 Skus the thought of doing a manual inventory almost makes me sick.  The time it would take and the human error possibilities??  With barcodes on everything and scanners in the store there must be a better option? 

Please help.  This conversion has not gone well at all for us and we are just about ready to give up on shopify pos. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
338 0 55

Hi Rychelle,

That does sound extremely daunting. Although, are you not tracking your inventory with Shopify already? If you're logged into your admin, you should be able to click on "Products" -> "Inventory" and see an inventory count for all the variants you have in the store.

Here is more information available about managing inventory with Shopify:

https://docs.shopify.com/manual/products/inventory

If you need a more robust platform for inventory management, you could also consider these apps:

https://apps.shopify.com/dear-inventory
https://apps.shopify.com/ordoro
https://apps.shopify.com/stocky

Alicia | Support Lead for Shopify
0 Likes
Highlighted
Explorer
97 0 18

I've been out of the distribution area for a while, so things may have changed, but I know from my corporate worker-bee career that the yearly inventory count was indeed done by hand.  It was dreaded, yes.  But typically in a small-medium company all hands (including accountants, customer service, EVERYBODY) were handed clipboards with sections of the inventory list and sent into the warehouse to count product.  It was typically done on a weekend outside of business hours, so that it didn't disrupt normal operations too much, and they were very long workdays.  It's such a critical function that it was worth paying everyone overtime for.  (This was a company of around 50 - 100 people.)

0 Likes
Highlighted
9 0 0

Hi Alicia,

We do track inventory in shopify, however for acounting purposes a "physical" inventory count must be done so we can adjust our inventory to actual.  We have to account for theft, damages and errors.  Using scanners to go through and just scan everything and upload it to our list in Shopify (maybe even through a .csv file?) would help A TON.  

0 Likes
Highlighted
9 0 0

Thanks Sharon.  

Yes, in the past I brought in all my staff and we would count "manually" after store hours. However, we were able to use scanners, rather then searching for barcodes on 100's of sheets of paper.  That is what I was referring to when I mean manually.  I was hoping since everything has a barcode there would be a way to use the scanners in our manual count.  

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
170 0 10

Rychelle you might want to take a look at this;

http://www.barcodedatalink.com/pages/stocktakes-online.php

Be interested to hear your feedback,

Karen

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Rychelle, I couldn't agree with you more. We have a storefront with 13,000 individual barcodes and have retailed for 35 years. Initially we thought a Shopify POS that was linked to a  Shopify ecommerce store would allow us to compete with the "big boys" however after countless hours researching and chatting to  Shopify we felt it best to stay away from their POS for the exact reason(s) you expressed. Yes , in the 1980's we performed manuaI counts. And, in the early 1990's our DOS based POS had the ability to complete an inventory count by using a handheld device(s), uploading and matching  the count with onhand items and automatically adjust the onhand quantity if there  happen to be a discrepency. Reports were generated showing exactly where (style, colour, size)  the discrepency took place. For year end accounting, periodic shrinkage issues  and especially for insurance purposes an immediate, accurate count is of utmost importance. Fast forward to 2016 and the answer provided by Shopify is to install a 3rd party app (with questionable results)  or print sheets and have our employees manually count the inventory and manually adjust the inventory for discrepancies. It appears that the Shopify executive (apart from the Gurus) team have limited experience running an independent business. As a result it appears they have placed a hand held barcode inventory count feature  in the 2020 to do list. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Ad this to the list of other reasons that I can;t beleive I switched over to shopify. Such a waste of time.

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

My year end is fast approaching....appears LightSpeed's inventory count module is included in their pos plan. Looks like I'll take it (Lightspeed) for a test drive.      

0 Likes
Highlighted
9 0 0

@Sasha yes.  We are having many regrets as well.  Although, the front end system works wonderfully. The admin area is still so flawed.  For example, (and this is a different thread) refunds/store credits.   They are done on the day they were purchased, not returned which is a nightmare because we are opening up months that have already been closed.  Ugh. 

@Bobbi good luck with your inventory. My pen and paper inventory when decently smoothly as I brought in a huge group to count.  It was the compiling of lists afterwards and manually changing the discrepancies that took days.  I use to be able to complete an entire inventory count, including the discrepancies in under 6 hours.  *sigh.  I love taking steps back in efficiency and technology (*just a hint of sarcasm). 

0 Likes