barcode + variant

Highlighted
Explorer
52 0 40

So when I search by barcode, rather that the exact variant showing , the default shows and then I (my employees) have to select the correct variant.  USING THE BARCODE SHOULD BRING UP THAT EXACT ITEM.  That's why each variant has a unique barcode.  For online sales it makes sense to have one listing and the customer chooses from the pull down. In the brick and mortar POS the barcode equals 1 exact item and it adds time and possible errors to then selecting the correct variant.  POS and online needs are different, but the ability to share the the same inventory id cool.

Shopify needs to work on the real world needs of the brick and mortar.  I was hoping this combination could make the online store an extension of the POS, but as a Shopify employee stated in another thread, it is actually the other way around.  Shopify could have a killer POS if they understood that distiction.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
67 0 3

Hi Harold,

Any chance you've got the same barcode value on multiple variants? The functionality you've described is what happens when the same value is applied.

Product Manager at Shopify
0 Likes
Highlighted
Explorer
52 0 40

Through more investigation, I discovered my barcode reader was in the wrong mode - it was searching the barcode but not automatically entering any product - even products with only 1 variant (isn't that really no variants?).  Switched modes and all is good!

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

How do I get the barcode in the pos? I have a scanner, but am I going to the search bar on the products screen or somewhere else? Mine brings up both variants when I use the scanner in collusion with the search bar. Thanks in adVance!

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Here is my situation - I have one product with with only one variant. My order size with the manufacturer is usually between 2K-10K units. Each unit gets assigned  a unique SN/Barcode.

When I sell a unit, I would like to carry out the following actions

1. Reduce the item inventory by the qty shipped

2. Track the Barcodes/SN that have been shipped, I assume I can associate this information with the order

How do I add these multiple Barcodes but only keep one product/variant?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
8 0 3

I don't have duplicate barcodes in my inventory.
Still I have the same problem as Harold.

If i go to "search" and scan the product the correct barcode is entered and the product is highligted in my selection. But I still have to manually find the size (variant). 

I need a solution as quick as possible, because we have 3 sellers in the shop.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
8 0 3

Hi Harold.

I have the same problem as you. What is the mode you're speaking about ? A setting in Shopify POS or on the scanner ?

Thanks

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 1

Any update to this problem? We are having the same issue. Example we a flower with 10 varients, one for each color. Each color is currently assigined its own unique barcode and sku number. But when its scanned or the sku number is entered in the search bar all 10 flowers show up and we have to select the correct varient. We need it to pull up only the correct color when we scan it. 

1 Like
Highlighted
2 0 0
Any solutions? I’m having this issue too.
0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi,

Can you please explain the setting you changed.

We are having the same issue and cannot seem to resolve it.

Thanks!

0 Likes