"Free" POS for Shopify Merchants..?

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
152 0 36

So, back in March, shopify posted this.

It claims that as of March 3rd, Shopify POS is now avaliable for free to all Shopify merchants. Well, I'm about 98% sure that's what they tried to say. Whoever wrote this "blog" update did a hell of a job with the wording. I assume that employee has an English Major.

On our latest statement for Shopify, we notice that our bill came out to $219. Strange, seeing how our Online package is $179. That's a $40 difference. Quite substantial. But since it was announced that the POS was now free for Merchants, we decided to check the pricing listed on Shopify's website, and behold, we are being charged a $40 for a "Retail Package Add-On". Having spent ~$2500 on retail equipment to set up our POS, it appears we are now being charged $40/mo to simply use the hardware we own..?

I'm sorry, but this has to be a mistake. I must be reading something incorrectly. This fantasticly worded update claims POS is now free, yet your own website and my invoices say it's $40/mo. I don't care if we have to pay for Shopify POS, that's what we were doing before, but if you're going to claim that it's now free, and continue charging me, there's a pretty big problem here.

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
67 0 3

Hi Cameron,

The Shopify POS software is available on iPhones and iPads at no additional charge for all Shopify merchants. As you can see in the blog post, our Retail Package—the same functionality that you're mentioning with receipt printing, cash drawer, and barcode scanner hardware functionality—is the paid extra, along with some useful software features like register shifts and multiple staff PIN login among others.

Essentially, we've taken our old offering, and made a free tier of it available to all Shopify merchants. Our Retail Package is the higher end, designed specifically for merchants operating a retail location.

Product Manager at Shopify
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
152 0 36

So the "Free" Tier that was made avaliable simply allows customers to enter an order via iPhone or iPad, and that's it?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
67 0 3

The free tier on both platforms supports our card reader for credit card payments, as well as handling split payments, refunds and tracking inventory. Merchants are free to use POS with an unlimited number of locations on any number of devices too.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
4 0 0

Does the free tier support the calculation of sales tax based on location of the transaction?  I have an unlimited Shopify online store but I now have a couple of retail store fronts as well.  I'd like to run my retail sales thru Shopify and I understand I have two options; use a mobile version of my site (in which case I don't think tax will be properly computed/collected), or use the Shopify POS app (which doesn't support the use of line item properties that I use heavily).  Any other ideas how to get what I need?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
67 0 3

Hi Mike,

Shopify POS supports tax calcuation based on the assigned location for all versions. Be sure to specify the location's address, and have your tax rules set up, especially with physical presences.

As for line item properties, that's an area we're looking to support, as it's a big piece of the sales flow for merchants with customized products.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
23 0 1

I'm really disappointed with Shopify. This week I bought printer, cash drawer, bar code scanner and rolls so that I can have my POS from Shopify. I just discovered that to set up receipt in french, give access to my staff and other stuff, I have to pay Shopify more 40$/month. Not happy at all and I'm looking for another provider ASAP. As the opening is next week I may not be able to use another provider , but I'll look for another soon (for my e-commerce store as well) . It's just a feedback and a formalization of my disappointment with Shopify and its hidden information. NOT FAIR!

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Try out www.geticonnectpos.com . It's been pretty stellar for me for the cost. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
1 0 0

I can't help but feel misled as well. Over the years, I've recommended half-a-dozen clients use Shopify for their online store, emphasizing they can sell in-person when the time came for no additional charge. 

In 2016 alone, a client deployed a food truck and another opened a retail outlet. To my dismay, I had to tell both budget conscious owners that in order to generate paper receipts they would have to pay $480 a year in addition to the $948 they've been paying!   

I consider this blog post announcing retail is free and the fact that the $40 Retail Package is hidden until you are staring at $1200 of hardware incredibly deceiving.

In the end, I was unable to convince the food truck owner to add Retail Package so he and his customers have a less than ideal experience. The other owner is paying it, but looking to me like this was my devious plan all along!

Because I don't believe in complaining without offering a solution: utilize App Store in-app purchasing to breakdown the costs into individual needs.

• Star receipt printer $10/month.
  • Multiple user logins $10/month.
  • Inventory management $10/month.

In this way, Shopify can expand it's capabilities as time goes on and be rewarded for the code. Employee time clock built into POS? $10/month. Emerging technologies like RF tracking of product? $10/month.

0 Likes