Can I use shopify payments without SSN but have an LLC instead?

Highlighted
5 0 0

Hello Guys,

As exactly per the subject title, I currently need a payment proccesor, and was wandering if I Can use shopify payments without SSN but having an LLC in the US. can this work, and if yes, what should I do about the SSN- section in the shopify payments application?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
397 50 65

Hi, @Elabnoudy

I’m Helen from Shopify Support. Thanks for reaching out about this.

A SSN is required for USA Shopify Payments accounts, as per the Terms of Service: Section B-3. Therefore, I’m afraid there isn’t any way to by-pass that requirement when creating your Shopify Payments account from your admin.

However, if you personally are not located in the USA, but your business has an operational presence there, there’s a possibility that you may still be eligible to use Shopify Payments! 

If this is the case, please let me know, and I would be happy to work with you on this in order to have your eligibility reviewed.

For further reference, in the event that you are not eligible to use Shopify Payments, please find an extensive list here per region of all payment providers that integrate with Shopify.

Helen | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
Highlighted
5 0 0
Hi Helen,

Thank you for reaching out, yes am not a US-citizen (Green-card holder)
aka: Don't have a SSN, but I am from another country but my business is
located in the US, I have an LLC in the United States with all the paper
work and tax related documents, I do have EIN number and everything is
fine, so if you can help me to use shopify payments that would be really
great solution, as am currently really confused about these payments
Gateways and I prefer to use Shopify payments
0 Likes
Highlighted
5 0 0

Hi @Helen 

Thank you for reaching out, yes am not a US-citizen (Green-card holder)
aka: Don't have a SSN, but I am from another country but my business is
located in the US, I have an LLC in the United States with all the paper
work and tax related documents, I do have EIN number and everything is
fine, so if you can help me to use shopify payments that would be really
great solution, as am currently really confused about these payments
Gateways and I prefer to use Shopify payments

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
397 50 65

Thank you for the follow-up and additional information, @Elabnoudy.

I’m happy to submit your request to use Shopify Payments in for a review for eligibility. Please keep an eye out for an email I am sending you in order to move forward with this. 

All the best,

0 Likes
Highlighted
5 0 0

Thank you @Helen looking forward to it ASAP :)

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi is it possible to use my business LLC for Shopify and use my cousin's SSN for Shopify payments? I don't have an SSN but I am hoping to use the LLC but use her SSN. In the case where this works, who gets to file for taxes? Is it the LLC or my cousin?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
397 50 65

Hi, @johnPeter. Thanks for reaching out! 

The Shopify Payments account used needs to be for the region that your store is based in. And so if it is based in the US, then the SSN used for the Shopify Payments account needs to belong to the Account Owner, who then must also be based in the US.  Where are you and your store located?

However, as we discussed above, if you (the Account Owner) is not located in the US, but you have a business presence there (LLC), then your account can be reviewed to determine if you may be eligible to use a US Shopify Payments account anyways. Let me know if you’d like me to help facilitate the review process for this for you. I’m happy to do so.

Additionally, please consult with a tax professional for any questions about taxes for you or your business. They are the best equipped to answer these questions for you.

0 Likes