Generating income by selling educational toys such as Lego or other building blocks

Solved
Highlighted
Pathfinder
100 1 17

We've thought of selling building 'block type' of toys to generate income for our CIC. Our story writing with play project is popular with some children and families and offering products that people already use for educational purposes sounds good. Creative play and story telling with Lego, modelling clay or similar activities is a regular event. So, the question is whether we would be able to sell educational toys similar to the ones that we already use in face-to-face activities on our website cum Shopify store? Where can we find good and reliable wholesalers? Are there any issues that we should be aware of as a small social enterprise? 

Skoory, the curious squirrel of TTL CIC - - a Company limited by guarantee with charitable objectives.
"Finally, if you quote a source, choose one with a name that is easy to pronounce...mental effort is aversive." Thinking Fast and Slow
0 Likes
Highlighted

Success.

Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
24 1 35

Hi TakTogLon,

I'm getting a Guru for you to help answer your question on wholesale! They are experts in this space :) Are you looking to wholesale locally or internationally?

Katie

1 Like
Highlighted

Success.

Community Manager
Community Manager
2654 190 421

Hi @Skoory,

Nick here from Shopify. 

I think selling educational toys would be a great idea for a Shopify store, you would definitely be able to use Shopify for this. In terms of finding good and reliable wholesalers, it's something which will take some research. As @katiebkung touched on in her reply, are you looking for local wholesalers or would international be ok also? 

It could also be worth reaching out to some other toy brands to see if they would be willing to talk to you or help with this part of the process. I know GoldieBlox is a great brand that is in the kid toy industry. 

You mentioned:

Are there any issues that we should be aware of as a small social enterprise? 

Are you referring to legal aspects regarding making sure your business is set up correctly or something else? 

Looking forward to hearing from you. 

All the best, Nick

Nick | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
Highlighted
Pathfinder
100 1 17

Hi @Nick and @katiebkung,

Thanks for your messages.

What is the difference between international and local in terms of results, processes, costs and benefits? Would they be suitable for starting small, learning while testing the waters?

In terms of possible unforeseen issues here is an example: we tried registering with some dropshipper and discovered that it's highly likely that their system shows different prices to different customers. When we first registered, for example, a toy was priced around 2 euros and shipping cost was around 7 euros, and just one or two days later the toy was priced about 2 1/2 times more and shipping went up to 11 euros.

Is there information to help us along the way so that we can get insight from research, before we start, rather than experience?

Skoory, the curious squirrel of TTL CIC - - a Company limited by guarantee with charitable objectives.
"Finally, if you quote a source, choose one with a name that is easy to pronounce...mental effort is aversive." Thinking Fast and Slow
0 Likes
Community Manager
Community Manager
2654 190 421

Hi @Skoory,

What is the difference between international and local in terms of results, processes, costs and benefits? Would they be suitable for starting small, learning while testing the waters?

This is something which would really depend on each supplier. Local benefits would obviously mean you are closer to them, but they might not always be as cheap or there might not be a local wholesaler that is local. It really does depend on who you find and what you're looking for. I would recommend to do some research and see if you can find some wholesalers and reach out to a few of them to get an idea of it all. 

Regarding your second question: 

Is there information to help us along the way so that we can get insight from research, before we start, rather than experience?

There is a really good blog post which the content marketing team put together about how to find and work with reliable dropshipping suppliers and wholesalers which you might find valuable. 

Nick | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
Highlighted
1 0 0
Desh Tutor is a very easy way find online tutors and tuition, We can help students and tutors find each other,If you need a tutor/tuition jobs, please visit here..
0 Likes