Starting a Sustainable Fashion Brand

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
16 1 20

Hi everyone, I also wanted to start a separate thread for anyone who is thinking about starting a sustainable & ethical fashion or accessories brand.

Feel free to ask questions about resources for getting started, how to move forward from just an idea, fabric sourcing, manufacturing, marketing as a new brand, etc.

I work with startup fashion brands every year through my online accelerator program, Factory45, so I can definitely help answer some high level questions here as you start your research.

Look forward to connecting!

Shannon

5 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
5 0 3

Hi Shannon, very happy to see you in the community board here! I am a Shopify staff member and also building a sustainable clothing brand, mentorship is such a powerful tool and its wonderful you are keen to share your knowledge. 

I see you are also set to speak at the Sustainable Fashion Forum, I will be attending and look forward to listening! :) 

2 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
16 1 20

That's awesome, Annie! It's really cool that Shopify gives you the freedom to run your own side gig, too : ) Sounds like a great company to work for.

And yes! I'll be at SFF. I'm teaching a workshop for startups the day before the conference starts, so keep an eye out for that too. Looking forward to meeting you!

1 Like
Shopify Partner
16 1 20

Wanted to share a few more sustainable fashion resources for anyone starting their own brand:

Common Objective

The Factory Floor

The Sustainable Fashion Forum

Maker's Row

Factory45 TV

1 Like
Highlighted
2 0 1

Hi, Shannon,

I think we can help each other, If you are looking for human hair factory, we can keep in touch

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
9 0 1

ShopifyForum2.jpg

Greetings Shannon! 

I thank you for being their to assist those of us who consider ourselves 'social entrepreneurs'.  We are most certainly interested it generating great wealth, however we prefer to do so in ways that we are able to contribute towards resolving some of society's greatest burdens.  

My name is Allen, and I'm the creator of several brands that I've build from the ground up.  CLUB NO-KILL 2027 is a popular consumer brand that was created to make wearers of our fashion & accessories,  advertisers and proponents of 'NO-KILL' in animal shelters. 

The year 2027 is a point in the future at which we will be able to access the progress of our ten-years quest to literally reduce the killing of healthy pets in shelters by 50%. 

The sales profits our CLUB NO-KILL brands are generate desperately needed income to help make spaying and neutering free.  Towards that end, we plow 90% of all sales profits into donations to animal shelters.

To greatly enhance the odds of our success, NO-KILL fashions and accessories are not available through customary retailers.  The can only be purchased as through participating Animal Shelters & Pet Rescues.   

Our current project is to have designed a Coffee Mug, Fashion & Accessories for pet rescuers in the corona-virus stricken city of Wuhan. Human companion animals are being devastated as a result of the epidemic which originated in that city.  The animal rescue community in Wuhan are going to need many years of serious financial assistance originating outside China to recover.

An ulterior motive for creating and supporting CLUB NO-KILL WUHAN is to establish a beachhead.  From Wuhan we will be able to advocate for, and help to finance those  animal rescue groups in China who are working to end the practice is killing pets for human consumption. 

On a bright note,  Wuhan's neighboring city of Shenzhen has just become the first city in China to outlaw the use of cats and dogs for human consumption.

Shannon, I would appreciate exchanging ideas that could contribute towards ending the killing of health pets and animals in shelters to achieve population control. 

http://pugonarock.club/

Allen Kimble, Jr. & "Vinny the Pug"

pugonarockbaristaclub@gmail.com

1 Like
Highlighted
2 0 1

All we need huge support to start a suitable fashion business. If we get enough support then we can start the business.

SSC Result 2020

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 2

Hi Shannon, 

I eco print with actual plants and leaves on silk scarves and cotton gift/tote bags, it's natural plant dye and no chemicals are used, making it totally sustainable and eco friendly. I forage plants from my area in Hermanus South Africa, and I would like to start printing on hemp soon. As yet I have my Shopify shop and sell to various places here but would like to get more into the fashion and decor sectors, and advice would be appreciated.

Thanks Jane.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 2

Hi Shannon, 

I eco print with actual plants and leaves on silk scarves and cotton gift/tote bags, it's natural plant dye and no chemicals are used, making it totally sustainable and eco friendly. I forage plants from my area in Hermanus South Africa, and I would like to start printing on hemp soon. As yet I have my Shopify shop and sell to various places here but would like to get more into the fashion and decor sectors, and advice would be appreciated.

Thanks Jane.

2 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 6

Hello!

Look us up at www.the-extrasmile.com

We make kids fashion that is fair to people and kind to our planet. 

3 Likes