I'm considering building a different shopping experience and want to partner with Shopify. Shopify has a great product that lets businesses jumpstart their eCommerce strategy - I just want to use the Shopify platform to build a completely different shopper experience.
For the sake of this conversation - let's call it NextGenShopping (NGS)
One critical aspect is, shoppers will never experience Shopify UX - even during checkout.
I want to adhere to Shopify's EULA and best practices - so please, can someone from Shopify tell me what approaches you offer?
- the shopper experience is so different, it cannot use Shopify's UX at all
- all financial transactions would be handled by NGS and Stripe/Paypal/etc or other well established/trusted & regulated payment gateways using industry best practices adhering to CCPA and GDPR - NGS would not retain any Shopper/Customer info - NGS is just facilitating the transaction and extracting a platform fee for its NextGeneration Experience (via PayPal Commerce/Stripe Connect)
- ShopifyMerchants that decide to install the app would have orders and payments show up just like it normally would so that a merchant could manage their business appropriately
- NGS money flows would follow best practices and adhere to all rules and regulations indicated by the banking and finance industry, local governments in addition to Shopify, Paypal, Stripe, etc.
- Stripe/PayPal would execute all money flows and neither NGS nor Shopify would not be listed as the merchant of record - the ShopifyMerchant that made the sale would be listed as "Merchant of Record".
Attached is a very simplified overview
Please advise on what would be the best approach and what next steps would be required.
It sounds like you may be looking to create a sales channel app, which could allow you the possibility to utilize the checkout API to create a checkout flow. I'd start there: https://shopify.dev/tutorials/complete-a-sales-channel-payment-with-checkout-api
Vix | Developer Support @ Shopify
- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution
Would any of these proposed solutions allow NGS to extract a platform fee from the merchant as the sale is processed by the NGS platform?
- Jane picks a pair of shoes from Alan'sAwesome shoes.
- The order total is $100 ( shoes $87, tax $7, shipping $6 )
- NGS takes 10% = $10
- Stripe takes 2.9% = $2.90
- Shopify takes 2% = $2
- Net to Alan's Shoes = $85.10
Q: is that just configuration of Stripe? If so, which solution scenario?