404 Not found - Home Page

Highlighted
3 0 0

Hello,

My website is working fine but for some of the users its shows a 404 error.  The URL is exactly same and the page exists. It works with or without www so I am confused why this error is coming for some users?

ShumailaKhan_0-1600596889281.png

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
569 28 188

Hi, @ShumailaKhan

This is Rae from Shopify. Thank you for reaching out about this error message, and welcome to the Shopify Community. 

I'd really like to check out your site from my end to see if the same error appears. With this in mind, can you please share your store's URL with me here? 

Do you also see this error when you visit your own site? If so, I recommend clearing the cache on your device, and then viewing your site from multiple browsers - like Chrome, Safari, or Firefox - as well as Incognito mode. This will help determine if this error is tied to a specific browser, or if it happens across multiple different browsers. 

Additionally, can you please confirm if this error occurs on a particular page, or when a certain link is clicked? If so, do you currently have any URL redirects created in your Shopify admin under 'Online Store > Navigation > URL Redirects'? In some cases, merchants may use URL redirects to direct customers away from broken links, and onto the correct page instead. If you previously had a URL redirect in place that has since been deleted, then this 404 error may show on the original page on your site if a redirect is no longer working. 

I look forward to hearing back from you with an update on this troubleshooting, and receiving your store's URL! 

Rae | Social Care @ Shopify
Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
Was your question answered? Mark it Accept as Solution to help others locate the answer!
To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center, or the Shopify Blog.

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

Hello Rae,

I have checked it in many browsers but the problem is I am unable to replicate this issue but only few of my customers are facing this. The URL is home page scooposcrub.com. I have tried to fix it by adding gURL redirects www.scooposcrub.com to scooposcrub.com in case this is the problem.

I also added code for redirecting 404 to home page. I have asked few of my customers to notify if they face this issue again.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
569 28 188

Hi, @ShumailaKhan

Thanks for following up with this information. 

I visited your store's homepage, using the URL you mentioned in your reply, and I didn't receive a 404 error on my end. However, if another customer reports this, I recommend asking them to clear their browser cache before visiting your site again, as this may resolve the issue. 

The URL redirect that you added may be causing this error to appear for some of your customers, too. You mentioned you added this with coding. Can you please tell me a bit more about what you edited in your theme's code to achieve this? Or, did you set up a URL redirect, by following these steps instead? 

It sounds like you want your primary domain to display as 'scooposcrub.com', rather than 'www.scooposcrub.com'. Is that correct? If so, you can set this up directly in your Shopify admin, rather than using URL redirects. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Visit the 'Online Store > Domains' section of your admin.
  2. Under 'Primary domain' click 'Change primary domain'. 
  3. Select your 'scooposcrub.com' domain, and click 'Save'. 

In order for this to work correctly, it's important to ensure you've already set up your root domain, and your subdomain, as outlined here

Please keep me posted on how this goes, and how your URL redirect was set up, and I'll be glad to help further.  

Was your question answered? Mark it Accept as Solution to help others locate the answer!

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

Hello Rae,

customers who are facing this issue send me this screenshot attached. As you can see I can not identify the URL because obviously, the customer is not tech-savvy. Customers are able to access the other sections of the website. The thing is its happening with too many customers and I can not ask all of them to clear the cache. So Far I have not set any redirects, can you suggest a better solution?

image_2020-10-30_124757.png

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
569 28 188

Hi, @ShumailaKhan

Thanks for getting back to me with these details. 

I just visited your site on a desktop browser, as well as a mobile device, and I didn't receive a 404 error. This leads me to believe this is likely a local issue, and having customers clear their browser cache should help resolve things. Though, I understand this may be a big ask for your customers.

With this in mind, how many customers have mentioned running into this error? Did these customers say if they clicked a specific link, or visited a particular section of your homepage when this error popped up?

Can you also please confirm the name of the theme you're using on your site? You can find this information in your Shopify admin under 'Online Store > Themes'

Once I have these details, I can help investigate further! 

0 Likes