65 pages with no title tag or meta description, 65 with a title tag that's too short...

Cathjmjt2
4 0 0

Hi there,
This is my website: www.catturnerlondon.com

A recent 3rd party analysis of my site showed 65 pages with no title tag or meta description and 65 pages with a title tag that's too short...

I know that I have filled everything in properly in terms of titles and meta descriptions and so it's coming from the backend.

Yesterday I realised that some code was leftover from a past app and asked the app people to remove the residue code.

I have also approached two other apps that I currently have (1 that optimises images and the other AMP pages) to ask them to check that their code is not resulting in the above problem.

If I look at how Google indexes my site site.catturnerlondon.com I can see what the 3rd party is talking about in terms of titles and meta descriptions not being right. 

Does anyone have any further suggestions? and how quickly can I have this problem fixed? Once the other apps have confirmed that their code is not affecting the above, what next? how can I speed up the process of my titles and descriptions being accurately picked up by Google?

I would appreciate any help.

thanks a lot

Cat

Replies 5 (5)

KieranR
Shopify Partner
333 27 115

SEO apps seem to have a pattern of adding/removing code around title/meta desc. Not an uncommon problem. 

For someone who knows Liquid, this is not a hard fix. Just look at what's happening in the theme, and replace the title/meta desc stuff with the theme default is one way.

You will probably only get so far with Shopify/app support channels, they are usually no good at helping with custom theme code changes like this.

Full time Shopify SEO guy, based in NZ. Sometimes freelance outside the 9-5.
Cathjmjt2
4 0 0

Hi Kieran,

Thanks for your message.

So the app people removed their remnant code over the weekend and the two other apps confirmed they didn't mess with the code.

I (myself) swapped in a piece of code for titles / meta description that someone had recommended on a blog.

new code
<title>{{ page_title }}{% if current_tags %} &ndash; tagged "{{ current_tags | join: ', ' }}"{% endif %}{% if current_page != 1 %} &ndash; Page {{ current_page }}{% endif %}</title>

vs old code
<title>
    {{ page_title }}{% if current_tags %} &ndash; tagged "{{ current_tags | join: ', ' }}"{% endif %}{% if current_page != 1 %} &ndash; Page {{ current_page }}{% endif %}{% unless page_title contains shop.name %} &ndash; {{ shop.name }}{% endunless %}
  </title>

A big win - the problem seems to no longer be highlighted by the 3rd party SEO analysis I was using (yay) but however still seems to be showing up on Google's index - site:catturnerlondon.com?????

Any ideas why that is happening? Is there a delay and it will redress itself (as the 3rd party seems to think that issue has gone).

Was the code change mentioned above a good thing to do?

My theme is Testament from Underground.

thanks

Catherine

Cathjmjt2
4 0 0

...Thanks a million in advance for any help you can give me with this.

KieranR
Shopify Partner
333 27 115

Any ideas why that is happening? Is there a delay and it will redress itself (as the 3rd party seems to think that issue has gone).

Google takes time to crawl, then time to update the index. You can try to speed it up a bit with things like re-submit a sitemap or request crawls, but personally I would just wait a few days before trying anything more. 

Full time Shopify SEO guy, based in NZ. Sometimes freelance outside the 9-5.
Cathjmjt2
4 0 0

Hi Kieran,

Thanks a lot for your advice, it is much appreciated.

All the best,

Catherine