Add metafields in admin product page

usmanak007
2 0 0

Hi,

I want to add metafeilds in admin dashboard of my product pages without using any app. Can anyone guide me in this matter?

0 Likes
Hilary
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
74 23 11

Hi, @usmanak007!

Hilary here from Shopify Support. Welcome to the Community! From what I understand, you are looking to add meta descriptions to your product pages, is that correct? 

If yes, I can walk you through how to do that. To do change the meta description for each product, here are the steps: 

1. Login to your Shopify Admin and head to Products.
2. Open the product you wish to edit by clicking the name of the product.
3. Scroll down to the Search engine listing preview section, and click Edit website SEO.
4. Edit the Description. You can also edit the Page Title and URL and handle here.
5. Click Save.

It's great that you are looking to update your meta descriptions. Meta descriptions are an important part of search marketing and when written well, they encourage customers to click the link in search results to visit your store. For this reason, I recommend adding a page title and meta description for your store's home page as well - here is the link on how to do this. There is also more about Adding keywords for SEO in our Help Center

Another important aspect of SEO are image alt tags, are you planning to set these as well? An image alt tag is a descriptive alternative (alt) text to help search engines find your content, since search engines cannot read images. You can follow our instructions on how to set image alt text here

Have you submitted your sitemap to Google? You can do this through the Google Search Console. This helps Google find, and index pages on your site. To do this, you can follow our instructions on Finding and submitting your sitemap. 

In case you'd like to learn more about SEO (search engine optimization), we have a great course on Shopify Compass called SEO Training for Beginners. It is great to run through to gain an understanding of the fundamentals of SEO. Let me know how this goes! 

Hilary | Community Moderator @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
usmanak007
2 0 0
No. not meta description. I'm asking about meta data for example each product have unique video that talks about product in detail or something like that.
0 Likes
Guillaume_G
Shopify Partner
16 2 3

Hi,

There is no way to add fields in the admin product page. To use the metafield concept you need an app or build your own private app to access the product with the API and add data.

If you want to add video, you can add video to the media section of the product page... your theme however must be capable to reading it since it is a late feature. You can also use the description to add video snippet from youtube.

Another solution is to use tags to store more data, for example "color:blue" or "video:<url>", but you have to update your theme to read those specific tags and maybe create different product templates according the product types.

-- Guillaume G.
0 Likes
Hilary
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
74 23 11

Thanks for the clarification! You can display metafield information on shop storefronts using liquid, an app, or a Chrome extension. We have a great blog article explaining these options in full called Using Metafields in Your Shopify Theme. I recommend running through that article. However, I'll briefly outline the options as well. 

If you're familiar with Liquid, this is a great option. You can learn more about customizing metafields in our developers documentation page.

Another tool that can be used to add, modify, and delete metafields is an extension available through Google Chrome. You can install the free ShopifyFD bookmarklet to your bookmarks bar. Then, navigate to your product page, and click the bookmark. Once you click the bookmark, you will see a set of new fields which are usually hidden in the Shopify Admin.

Lastly, as you mentioned, you can also use an app from the Shopify App Store. I do understand you were looking for alternate options to an app. Therefore, I will also submit some feedback on your behalf to our developers about this feature request from within the Admin. Hope this helps!

Hilary | Community Moderator @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog