Add shipping package size to the packing slip

Blake_Heiner
Excursionist
13 0 8

Sometimes I select a very specific package size when purchasing a shipping label.  Sometimes I do this because I know we are running low on a certain size shipping box, or because a different package size would better protect a combination of items that aren't often ordered together.  Sometimes this actually costs me more in shipping costs to do this. 

Problem is my shipping employee cannot see what package size I selected to purchase the shipping label with.  So unless I see him packaging the specific order he will not know that I paid extra shipping money to better protect the product.  Or to use a non-default box size because we are running low on the default box size.  

Is there a way to add the variable of Package Size to the packing slip?

Screen Shot 2020-05-18 at 3.37.35 PM.png

Replies 4 (4)

KavaJohn
Visitor
1 0 0

Blake,

Has anyone answered this question for you.....we have the same issue.  How hard can it be to retrieve the box size selection and place it on the packing slip??  Shopify says I need an app because its not on their software....really??

Blake_Heiner
Excursionist
13 0 8
I have no solution to this problem yet unfortunately. But yes, my thoughts
exactly. Come on Shopify!
lovehuvet
Excursionist
14 0 7

Have you had any luck figuring this out? I'm hoping to add it as well for my employees.

PackLabelShip
Shopify Partner
16 0 0

Hey @Blake_Heiner @KavaJohn @lovehuvet,

I agree this is a huge problem! Even us App Developers aren't able to access that information about an order or set it for an order. I went ahead and created an app that enables you to update your Packing Slip to display exactly the information you're asking for. You'll need to upload your item and packaging dimensions and then we'll assign a package to an order based on that and you can see the best packaging at checkout.

We even allow you to 'lock' certain product configurations to a certain package for the one off case you're talking about.

Link to our app: https://apps.shopify.com/pls-smart-pack-ship 

A short video demo: 

The code snippet discussed to add to your Packing Slip Template:

{% if order.metafields != blank and order.metafields.PLS != blank and order.metafields.PLS.packaging != blank %}
<hr>
{% for package in order.metafields.PLS.packaging %}
<p>Package Name: {{package.name}}</p>
<p>Length: {{package.length}}</p>
<p>Width: {{package.width}}</p>
<p>Height: {{package.height}}</p>
{% endfor %}
{% endif %}

Putting Custom Packaging and Order Inserts back in the Merchant's hands!