Adding Customers Phone Number to USPS Shipping Label?

THIS_Skateshop
Tourist
10 1 4

Hello!

Is there any way to add a customers phone number to a USPS shipping label?

I have had a couple of packages sent via USPS that have had problems that would probably be able to be solved if the customers phone number was on the label, but are instead shipped back to me...

I have looked at a number of USPS labels on boxes that have been shipped to me, and some, but not all, have my business phone number on them.

All of my UPS shipping labels print with the customers provided phone number.

Replies 4 (4)

Tira
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1260 90 223

Hey, @THIS_Skateshop

Tira here, from Shopify.

This is a great question and I can see how it would benefit you and your customers to have their phone number included on a shipping label. 

I looked into this with our shipping team and it looks like the contents on a shipping label are determined by the courier, so adding a customer phone number would be outside of our scope of support. I recommend reaching out to USPS to place a request to add the customer phone number to the shipping label. 

You can add customer phone numbers on some shipping labels, such as UPS as you mentioned, and DHL. Currently, this is what the USPS shipping label looks like: 21-01-wwtai-58xdj

DHL shipping labels have the customer phone number:

21-01-d0y6z-odfvw

I know this isn’t ideal for you and your business, so what I can do is submit this as feedback to our developers so that they are aware of how adding customer phone numbers would be beneficial for your business and customers. If we move forward with this, we will notify you and all of our merchants through our changelog or announcements page

Can I get your myshopify.com URL to pass along to our developers?

Thanks and I can’t wait to hear from you.

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

copelandcoins
Tourist
6 0 21

This will continue to be a need for store owners as countries are demanding to contact our customers for import fees and duties. We need phone numbers on these labels. As Shopify users who pay for a service, we need phone numbers added to these labels. Shopify is responsible for solving this, not the Shopify user as this response from Shopify says. Don’t pass off the responsibility. 

Minhaso
Visitor
1 0 0

Agreed. This is critical for my business too - would love to have it resolved. 

indianMusic
Tourist
3 0 3

this is very useful for International shipping.  Even if its possible to add outside the border , it is fine. there is always 1/2 inch to 1 inch margin of white paper