Adding customer tags to existing subscriber

sauls1
Shopify Expert
2 0 1

I'm using the customer form to create a newsletter popup. How would I add contact tags to an existing subscriber?  

Using the following will add the tag correctly for new customers, but when submitting the form as an existing customer, the tag is not added. 

<input type="hidden" name="contact[tags]" value="campaign__name">

Section 5 here, https://help.shopify.com/en/themes/customization/forms/get-consent-for-promotional-emails, doesn't give any detail about handling updates to existing customers, or adding multiple tags.

robbie_inq
Tourist
3 0 0

I'm having the exact same issue. There must be a way to do this, right? I need to have a way to manually tag a customer if they take a certain action on my site that doesn't require making a purchase!

0 Likes
sauls1
Shopify Expert
2 0 1

I know right! I worked out that you can add tags to a new customer record, without needing customers to place an order, but you can't update an existing customer record. Take a look at newsletter.liquid on the Debut theme. 

Hope that helps! 

0 Likes
NicolAvontuur
1 0 0

Hi,

I am also running into the problem that tags are not added to existing subscribers. I have build a landingpage in Pagefly including a customer form. I would like to send follow-up e-mails to everyone submitting an e-mail address, existing as well as non-existing customers in Shopify. At the moment submit is only adding new, but not updating or addings tags to existing customers.

Any idea how I can add tags to existing customers submitting their email address on the landing page?

Best regards,
Nicol

0 Likes
tim
Shopify Expert
2937 142 992

Unfortunately, you need an App to allow customers edit their data. there is no way to update customers from front-end (your theme) without using apps. https://apps.shopify.com/customr can do this if I remember correctly.

Want to hire me to tweak a theme? Mail me at tairli@yahoo.com!
My post solved your problem? Like it!
0 Likes