Adding new information to an order which will save to the customer database.

Alison_Hollier
3 0 2

Hi there - I run a pet store which sells pet beds. We are trying to collect information about the customers pets - ie name, breed and age.  We would like this info to then but attached to the customers file so that we can use it for emails and to send things on the pets birthday etc.

Im only on the Shopify basic level so cant amend the checkout itself.

Ive had someone add the questions to my cart page in the notes and I can see the information on the order but it is only then attached to that order.  Is there any way I can now add this to the customer file for future use.  Or am I going about it the wrong way.  Is there anyone out there who can help me . Thanks in advance.

0 Likes

There is an app for that. We've had success using Customer Fields from the app store. This app is used to add any number of custom fields to the customer profile.

If my response was helpful please Like and Mark As Solution.
Alison_Hollier
3 0 2

this looks like a great alternative - I really wanted to add the information only to customers who have purchased so I can also match the info to what they bought 

is there no other way to add the info during the purchase process.??

0 Likes

Sorry, not aware of any way to collect this information as part of each checkout.

If my response was helpful please Like and Mark As Solution.
0 Likes
Kyle_W
Shopify Expert
91 12 39

Hi @Alison_Hollier!

As @themecaster mentioned, at the moment there aren't any features in our Customer Fields app that would allow you to collect this information on the actual checkout page, but there are some ways to achieve your goal. 

One popular solution is to enable the 'Accounts are required' checkout setting in Shopify. This particular setting can be found in the Shopify admin under Settings > Checkout > Customer accounts. If you set accounts to be required, then each visitor on your store will be asked to login or register for an account before being able to get to the store's checkout page. To be clear, visitors can still add items to their cart, but they won't be able to checkout until they login/register. After enabling this setting and installing a Customer Fields form on your store's registration page, you'll be able to collect the desired pet information from new customers prior to checkout.

To collect pet information from existing customers, you can email your customers directly and ask them to login to their account and update their profile. The app would allow you to easily download a list of customers who have placed an order and have yet to provide their pet details. In addition, you also add some custom code to the store's theme (using metafields in Liquid) that would be designed to automatically detect if a logged-in customer is missing pet details and ask them to provide the desired information.

Hopefully this all makes sense! Please let us know if you have any questions

Kyle W | Helium Dev, LLC
Helium builds apps that merchants depend on:
- Customer Fields
- Meteor Mega Menu
0 Likes