Allowing Customer to attach photos to order

Highlighted
2 0 0

When I go to install easy custom field app it says ….

RexApp Custom Product Fields will be able to:

• View Shopify account data

View details

RexApp Custom Product Fields will be able to access data such as your Shopify account email addresses, phone numbers, and locations.

• Manage products

View details

This includes products, collection listings, and collections.

• View orders

View details

This includes all order details for the last 60 days and draft orders.

RexApp Custom Product Fields will be able to access data such as customer names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, physical addresses, geolocations, IP addresses, and browser user agents.

• View customers

Hide details

This includes customer data.

RexApp Custom Product Fields will be able to access data such as customer names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and physical addresses.

• Manage your Online Store

Is this all safe to allow?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
1839 176 690

Well most apps require some kind of access to these resources. Even if they don't use all the fields available in these resources, they'd still need the access scope which isn't very granular once you allow access to that scope. Shopify will not claim responsibility for data breaches or otherwise caused by vendors of 3rd party apps. This is entirely between you and the 3rd party. If you're within the EU and underly strict GDPR laws, I'd be more careful.

Personally, I'd not share an iota of customer information with any app - it just goes against my inner voice, privacy concerns for customers and knowing what kind of questions get posted around here by app developers, I wouldn't trust half of them with my junk email account. But my point of view on this topic is quite harsh - I realise - so yourself and others may disagree.

Also, if you're looking to allow customers to attach images to their orders, simply do it yourself - no need for an app. Add following code or similar to your Sections / product-template.liquid 

<div class="product-form__item product-form__item">            
  <label for="custom_image">Upload Image</label>
  <input required id="custom_image" type="file" name="properties[Uploaded Image]" class="product-form__input">
</div>

Style it as you need and if you wish to display the uploaded image in the customers' cart, you can achieve that as well - without an app. Of course, if your requirements are more complex, so will the implementation of this DIY solution. That's the trade-off.

Hope this helps!

Liked this post? You might also like our fantastic upsell apps Candy Rack and Candy Cart or offer free gifts with Gift Box. All made with ❤️  and care by Digismoothie
1 Like
Highlighted
2 0 0
Really appreciate your generosity showing me the the DIY option and your feedback. Thank you for your time!

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

That’s a good way to do it. Thanks for that !:) 

But I s it possible to attach the uploaded photos to the -custom fulfillment services- auto generated Mail ? 

thanks in advance 

0 Likes