An Email forwarding issue with a domain purchased from a third-party provider

Solved
2 0 0

Hello there,

I've purchased a domain from onamae.com, a third-party domain provider, and already set it up to my shopify.

I can see my contents with this custom domain with no problem. 

I also registered to Zoho Mail verifying with the custom domain and setting up MX records on the provider's platform and now I can use the custom emails I created on Zoho Mail with no problem. 

I've been trying to link these custom email addresses (hello@myshopdomain and contact@myshopdomain) created on Zoho Mail to Shopify as the page below suggests, however first of all, I can't find the custom domain I want to connect to on 'shopify-managed domains' section but only on 'Primary domain'.

Secondly, I can't click the domain to begin with (please see the attached screenshot below).

Therefore I cannot reach 'use third-party hosting service' or 'Add forwarding email address' as the page suggests.

https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/domains/managing-domains/email-forwarding

スクリーンショット 2019-12-01 2.37.33.png

Also I've read through some of the similar posts here on the community and found this post from last year

https://community.shopify.com/c/Shopify-Discussion/E-mail-Forwarding-Issue/td-p/450396

that says

'Setting up email forwarding within your Shopify admin is only available when you have purchased your domain from us through your Shopify admin. Email forwarding will not be available for you to set up through your Shopify admin if you have purchased your domain from GoDaddy, or from any third party domain provider.'

I'm a little bit confused whether I can forward the custom email addresses or not if the domains were purchased from third-party providers. 

Also, I'm wondering if it's necessary to connect Zoho to Shopify if I can already use custom email addresses made through Zoho Mail. 

Would there be any possible issues in this case?  

Would be lovely if someone can help me with this issue.

Many thanks in advance! 

0 Likes

Success.

Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
760 74 148

Hey there, @Sayaka_JP 

Bo here from Shopify Support! 

That is a really great question, I am glad you asked. The simple answer here is that you can only add forwarding emails to domains bought from and managed by Shopify. Unless you fully transfer your domain to our servers you will not be able to use our email forwarding feature as our system will not have access to the relevant DNS Settings for your domain. However, you have mentioned Zoho Mail, which is an email hosting service. If you are using Zoho for your email you can simply go to Settings > General and enter contact@myshopdomain as your customer email andhello@myshopdomain as your general email. Doing this will make sure that any emails sent to you from the contact forms .etc will be sent to your Zoho inbox. 

Let me know how this goes and if there is anything else I can assist you with, I'm happy to help!

All the Best,

Bo

Bo | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
Highlighted
2 0 0

Thanks Bo, you made it all clear! 

I'll just keep using Zoho Mail then. 

Much appreciated for your support.

Kind regards,

Sayaka

0 Likes