Assign one colour to a product without creating a variant

Highlighted
3 0 0

Is it possible to assign a colour to a product without creating a variant. Say a t-shirt comes in one colour i.e. red is it possible to assign the colour red to a product? This can then be used to filter products?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
836 127 141

Hi there!

This can be done using metafields or tags if your theme support tag filtering. How are your product setup?

- Did we solve your issue? Like & Mark As Solution to help the community
- Should you need any direct help: contact@jhkconsultancy.com
K&J
0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

Thank you for taking the time to reply. Can you expand on what you mean about how my products are setup?

I have a mixture of products that are made up of variants i.e. multiple colours i.e. red and blue, and then I have products which is only available in one colour i.e. red. That being said when a user selects the colour red they will see the product which has many variants and the one product which is only available in red. 

I did think that metafields would work but not sure of how to do it. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
836 127 141

Do you use tags on your products at all? If not this could be an easier fix than Metafields. Let me know!

- Did we solve your issue? Like & Mark As Solution to help the community
- Should you need any direct help: contact@jhkconsultancy.com
K&J
0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

No I wont be using tags as I will need to tag the products that have variants which is effectively duplicating the process. Its strange that I'm unable to simply edit the field associated with the product without creating a variant but I think thats what Im going to need to end up doing. Then using some sort of jquery which hides the colour option on the product page if there is only one option. 

0 Likes