Autofilled Meta Description

txshellie
Excursionist
25 0 5

I have just migrated to shopify and it looks like all my products that (for whatever reason)  do not have a custom meta description have that field auto-filled with the first couple 100 characters of text from the description field. 

In some cases, my shipping and warranty text is auto-filled into this SEO spot. 

I will ultimately get around to creating a custom meta description for each product. Is there a way to disable this feature for now? 

I would prefer custom descriptions or nothing to be there. 

Thanks in advance for your help. 

Shellie

Replies 3 (3)

Niki_K
Shopify Partner
447 45 123

Hi @txshellie,

even if you write a custom meta description for each of your product, there is no guarantee that this custom meta description will show up in the Search Engine Result Page. Speaking of Google, Google might change the meta description according to the person's search query if Google finds out that the custom meta description doesn't correspond properly to the search term. Therefore, you might witness a different meta description for your products than the custom meta descriptions you prepared.

And hence, even if you remove the meta descriptions code from the liquid, some meta description will show up. So, from my point of view, I would just start slowly writing the meta descriptions, then ask for recrawling the website on the Google Search Console and hope that these custom meta descriptions will start showing up! 

Send me a link to your store to niki@ecommercepot.com and I'll help you out.
For more info what I do, visit my agency website ecommercepot.com or my personal website nikikozak.me.
txshellie
Excursionist
25 0 5

Let me rephrase.

I don't want to remove the meta description from liquid. The issue is that the Shopify platform is stuffing text like this example into the meta description if the field is blank:

Use this accessory to invisibly attach 2 pieces rope light. Warranty. Our warranty for all our products is 90 days of normal, seasonal use. If a product is defective or fails during the 90 days following receipt of your order, please contact us right away. We will work with you to troubleshoot th

This is not a good description. 

I will eventually get all the fields customized. Until then, I'd rather not have that text in the code for the page. It duplicates on-page content and it's useless.

Any thoughts on code to keep the system from doing that? 

txshellie
Excursionist
25 0 5

You are correct!!!  

I guess it's just time to finish creating those meta descriptions. 

Thanks to everyone who answered this question 🙂